Respected Contributor

Re: Your Mom’s Signature Fragrance

[ Edited ]

Arpege. As a little girl I'd go into her bedroom, play with her Avon makeup sample lipsticks, lol. I'd often open that little bottle of Arpege and smell it.

I can almost smell it in my mind. I picture her in her sequin top, long black evening skirt, and persian lamb fur jacket with the mink collar (sorry guys, those were those days of real fur)...going to the Boy's Village Ball with my dad. 1960's. That to me is her signature fragrance that I think of first...in her most glamorous days. (not that she wasn't glamorous to me her whole life until her 91st year.)

That said...she also wore White Shoulders in the 70's.

And then QVC years...she LOVED Tova Signature. 

She also wore Shalimar, and a fragrance I bought her while in Maine, I still will wear today, because I love it too..."Milk."

All of those fragrances remind me of her. I have her last bottles of Tova, and Shalimar, on her perfume tray in my bedroom. ❤️

I've often wished I could smell Arpege again...sometimes I've seen it on ebay, but not sure it's the same thing.

Regular Contributor

For her birthday and Christmas my Dad would give my Mom Shalimar. Now I always wear Shalimar at the holidays.  The scent bring back happy memories 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dear mother wore Musk and Wild Musk.😐 I was NEVER a fan of it, especially after she would use her hairspray!!😄 The scents would mingle and it was NOT a pleasant olfactory experience, but the memory it evokes, is quite comforting to me, and has me smiling as I type this.❤🥰

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

1950's

L'Air du Temps

"  Top notes of carnation and gardenia accord make this an iconic floral fragrance. "

1960's

Shalimar by Guerlain, " a rich, oriental fragrance. "

Trusted Contributor

Jean Nate!  My mom never went for anything fancy.  So every Christmas or birthday she was just thrilled with a new after bath splash and powder.  Wonderful memory, miss her every day.

Valued Contributor

@beach-mom  My beautiful Mother is passed 9 years now but she loved and wore Dolce and Gabbana The One. Her Mother always wore Emeraude by Coty. Both lovely fragrances that when I smell them it immediately evokes fond memories for me. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think my mom ever wore perfume until I bought her some Beautiful in the 80's. She loved it. Perfume would have been a luxury in the 50's.

I remember my grandmother had a lot of Avon jars that I ended up with when she passed away. I still have them.

I sold Avon for a bit in the 90's as a side job. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

My mom only wore L'air duTemps by Nina Ricci...a very old fashioned fragrance. 

I havent smelled it in over 30 years. I should have grabbed her bottle. Not sure where it went. She rarely bought ANYTHING for herself, but she did buy this. 

Wildly coincidential, i like Juliette Has A Gun line of perfumes. I got a sample in my Ipsy Glam Bag subscription. LOVED the name, luckily liked the scent too, bought a sample of 15 ( i think) trial size box from Amazon. ...turns out this line was created by Romano Ricci...Nina Ricci's great grandson! 

I dont wear perfume to work and rarely go out. But where i sit at work now i probably could put a bit on my one wrist and use it as aromatherapy.

Thanks @beach-mom for inspiring me to do so. 

@LizzieInSRQ - That is quite a coincidence! It's almost like it was meant to be! 

I've never tried Juliette Has a Gun, but I've heard of it. It's great that you found something you really like!

Like you, I had to be careful at work. I was used to wearing my fragrance, then we got someone in who was very allergic. Flowers had to be a certain distance. I didn't wear my regular parfum, but she could tolerate BBW fragrance sprays, so I wore those. She left before the pandemic hit, but I still wear the body sprays once in a while if I know I will be working closely with someone. If I go out I feel lost without my parfum!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This:

Youth-Dew Eau de Parfum Spray in Classic Bottle | Estée Lauder

Respected Contributor

Royal Secret from Germaine Montiel. She wore is fabulously!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield