Honored Contributor

Re: What is your preferred method of foundation application?

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

Depending on the foundation, it would use my fingers (Bobbi Brown Stick foundation) or a flat top buki brush for liquid foundations. 

I tried the Beauty Blender and like the finish, but dislike the clean up afterwards. I clean my brushes after each use and it's just so much  more efficient to clean brushes than the sponge in the morning. 

@LilLadyNJ   Some of the makeup sponges are inexpensive and come in sets. You can use a different one for a few days and then wash all at once.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I gave it up a while ago. My skin is really good now. I get by with a little concealer here and there. That's what French women (supposedly and stereotypically) do. They spot correct. It looks so much better and fresher on me.

So if I used foundation instead of concealer, I would only apply it where I needed it and blend it like crazy at the edges. Probably fingers and maybe finish with a sponge when needed. I don't see the point in covering up any skin without shadow or redness going on.

@Porcelain   ITA. The only foundation I own is BB Foundation Stick for special occasions. On a daily basis it's a tinted moisturizer w/ spf and usually only a drop of concealer under my eyes. The less makeup of any kind, the better I look (maybe younger, too). No one has perfect, flawless skin. In natural light, it can look artificial to see heavy, full coverage foundation on skin w/ texture (wrinkles/lines).

That IS the true secret to natural French makeup. When I spent some time there, few women covered their skin w/ makeup...a little concealer under eyes, around the nose, maybe on chin and that was it. They use one that's not too creamy to avoid powder, if possible. Cream blush or use their lipstick. Of course, famous for their smokey liner smudged like it was from the night before...quite sexy...mascara, nude or the perfect red lip. I was staying w/ several women for a Chanel 2 wk. class. The toughest part? They wash hair at night, no dryers, go to sleep w/ it wet and whatever it is in the morning is the preferred look. They have haircuts to enhance natural texture and few, if any styling products. Think the term "bed head", Bridget Bardot. 

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

For liquid foundations, a foundation brush, cleaned weekly if applying foundation daily.

For powder foundation in a compact, I use a kabuki brush.

@JustJazzmom   After my BM powder, I use a damp sponge to blot off any powdery look.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

Depending on the foundation, it would use my fingers (Bobbi Brown Stick foundation) or a flat top buki brush for liquid foundations. 

I tried the Beauty Blender and like the finish, but dislike the clean up afterwards. I clean my brushes after each use and it's just so much  more efficient to clean brushes than the sponge in the morning. 

@LilLadyNJ   Some of the makeup sponges are inexpensive and come in sets. You can use a different one for a few days and then wash all at once.

Since I use a damp sponge, when I shower in the morning, I take the sponge with me and clean it with dove soap.  So it's not really an extra step in cleaning since I'm already in the shower.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I gave it up a while ago. My skin is really good now. I get by with a little concealer here and there. That's what French women (supposedly and stereotypically) do. They spot correct. It looks so much better and fresher on me.

So if I used foundation instead of concealer, I would only apply it where I needed it and blend it like crazy at the edges. Probably fingers and maybe finish with a sponge when needed. I don't see the point in covering up any skin without shadow or redness going on.

@Porcelain   ITA. The only foundation I own is BB Foundation Stick for special occasions. On a daily basis it's a tinted moisturizer w/ spf and usually only a drop of concealer under my eyes. The less makeup of any kind, the better I look (maybe younger, too). No one has perfect, flawless skin. In natural light, it can look artificial to see heavy, full coverage foundation on skin w/ texture (wrinkles/lines).

That IS the true secret to natural French makeup. When I spent some time there, few women covered their skin w/ makeup...a little concealer under eyes, around the nose, maybe on chin and that was it. They use one that's not too creamy to avoid powder, if possible. Cream blush or use their lipstick. Of course, famous for their smokey liner smudged like it was from the night before...quite sexy...mascara, nude or the perfect red lip. I was staying w/ several women for a Chanel 2 wk class. The toughest part? They wash hair at night, no dryers, go to sleep w/ it wet and whatever it is in the morning is the preferred look. They have haircuts to enhance natural texture and few, if any styling products. Think the term "bed head", Bridget Bardot. 

@Shanus  - I've never heard of french women all going to bed with wet hair and waking up using bed-head as their style.  Seems like that wouldn't work for most women.  I don't have a problem with washing my hair at night, but I would at least blow-dry it before going to bed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

That IS the true secret to natural French makeup. When I spent some time there, few women covered their skin w/ makeup...a little concealer under eyes, around the nose, maybe on chin and that was it. They use one that's not too creamy to avoid powder, if possible. Cream blush or use their lipstick. Of course, famous for their smokey liner smudged like it was from the night before...quite sexy...mascara, nude or the perfect red lip. I was staying w/ several women for a Chanel 2 wk class. The toughest part? They wash hair at night, no dryers, go to sleep w/ it wet and whatever it is in the morning is the preferred look. They have haircuts to enhance natural texture and few, if any styling products. Think the term "bed head", Bridget Bardot. 

@Shanus  - I've never heard of french women all going to bed with wet hair and waking up using bed-head as their style.  Seems like that wouldn't work for most women.  I don't have a problem with washing my hair at night, but I would at least blow-dry it before going to bed.

@San Antonio Gal   They love that 2nd day hair, undone look. It was difficult for me to get used to, too. No dryer in apt. & didn't bring mine assuming they'd have one. After a few days, it was nice to give my hair a zuzge in the morning and be on my way. Those w/ longer hair, would make a braided ponytail while having their espresso, etc. to create a slight wave before heading out the door. Looking natural is for them is their priority. 

Great attention to skincare and hair care is primary. Lots of masks, serums, conditioning makes it all possible. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal from what little I know about French chic, they don't actually just roll out of bed and go, apres a romp with Jean Paul Belomondo. They want it to look like they do. A perfect haircut is key to that. The general idea is to appear as if you don't put in much effort. Just like with a no makeup makeup look, a lot of actual effort goes on behind the scenes.

A big part of the mystique is being vague and denying that you do much of anything to achieve your look. Your personal beauty secrets are exactly that--secrets.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I use a foundation brush when I want fuller coverage. When I go for a lighter look I use a damp sponge.