Respected Contributor

What hair product do you use before flatironing?

I saw steam coming out of my hair last week when I flatironed. I have so many hair products but I don't know what to use to protect my hair. Advice welcomed. I only flatiron about every ten days.

Super Contributor

Re: What hair product do you use before flatironing?

Lavendar, I was told the steam is the product dissipating as you're  flatironing...similar to wine evaporating while cooking. I happen to like L'Oreal Straightening Balm...I mix it with their Anti-Frizz Serum and it works very well.

Honored Contributor

I flat iron often, and I use Tresemme Heat Protectant spray. I have tried others, but they all had unpleasant or really strong odors. I actually spray the product on a comb and then comb it through my hair before flatironing. 

Super Contributor

I use a heat protectant spray, comb through and a serum.   If I see stem, I check the temp on my flat iron.....

Respected Contributor

I don't like those products that you spray on before flat ironing. Just the whole process and seeing steam at times seems like it's frying my hair. I use a heat protectant spray product before I blow dry and then flatiron. I do try to restrict the amount of heat styling when I can and I don't  have thick, course hair so I don't have to go over and over a section like some probably have to. 

Super Contributor

I use WEN Styling Cream and WEN oil, applying both to dripping wet hair. I air dry and then flat iron. My hair is in pretty good shape, considering that I flat-iron 1x per week. When I'm between WEN styling Creams and looking for a quickfix drugstore brand, I've used John Frieda's Frizz-Ease. It's a decent product, but a tad on the sticky side.It's best applied with a light hand, but then I worry that not enough product has been distributed (Catch-22). Final thoughts: I try not to run out of WEN Styling Cream because I have yet to find a comparable product.

Respected Contributor

I do not flat irom much for it i time consuming  but The loreal flat iron spray  in the black/pink bottle is really good also I have the alterna bamboo heat protect leave in cream which I also really like and Suave professionals keratin infusion leave in cream is a good heat protectant as well. I esp. love the ION  from sallys beauty heat protection cream, kinda lokks like white vasciline but it makes your hair so soft

Super Contributor

I've read more than one  article that the ingredients  in Tresemme do actually provide protection. I use it but wish it  came in unscented. 

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Respected Contributor

Thank you. I use the WEN styling cream but I don't think it's enough. I have dark blonde hair that is very coarse. I have no curl, but a wave and I only flatiron quickly and not my whole head. It really shines when I flatiron.

Honored Contributor

Lanza Healing Oil