Trusted Contributor
Sad news for sure. Sorry you are going through this. Usually women get hormonal breakouts on the chin and jawline (not fair, after everything else we have to go through!). Cystic acne is painful, too. I started getting them this year and found great relief from Paula's Choice Resist BHA liquid. It really helped clear out the pores and was really soothing as well. I would think if it was a reaction to the Wen, you would have a rash on your scalp or back. Hope it clears up soon!
Honored Contributor
On 10/7/2014 MandySays said:

I hate that you're breaking out. May I ask which formula you are using for CC, SC and VTS?

I had no problems with anything except for when I got the TSV in BGT (my FAVORITE) and started to break out on ears and the nape of my neck only after incorporating the BGT SC and VTS.

It wasn't acne, but severe itching and a rash? I did a patch test on my forearms doing BGT VTS on one arm and BGT SC on the other. After 3 days, the VTS arm was awful, but the SC arm was fine.

I tried to figure out which ingredients BGT had that the others didn't and looks like Cinnamon Oil and Clove Leaf Oil are the possible culprits for ME. I don't think many others have an issue with these.

But since only the VTS bothered me, maybe I'm a weirdo that is affected by Witch Hazel?

Anyway..if it's a different formula that is causing issues for you I don't know what to tell you. But if it's definitely WEN causing it, take a break and see if it clears up. If it does, then you'll know.

I will never give up my WEN, so I just use BGT in my routine twice a week instead of daily.

I am one that has an issue with these ingredients. And witch hazel can be drying and irritating for some as well.

New Contributor

I break out with a rash on the back on my neck and scalp when I use any product with green tea in it. My dermatologist confirmed I am allergic to green tea. I have to read all ingredients carefully since green tea is in many cosmetics, lotions, shampoo, and food.

Super Contributor
On 10/7/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 10/7/2014 MandySays said:

I hate that you're breaking out. May I ask which formula you are using for CC, SC and VTS?

I had no problems with anything except for when I got the TSV in BGT (my FAVORITE) and started to break out on ears and the nape of my neck only after incorporating the BGT SC and VTS.

It wasn't acne, but severe itching and a rash? I did a patch test on my forearms doing BGT VTS on one arm and BGT SC on the other. After 3 days, the VTS arm was awful, but the SC arm was fine.

I tried to figure out which ingredients BGT had that the others didn't and looks like Cinnamon Oil and Clove Leaf Oil are the possible culprits for ME. I don't think many others have an issue with these.

But since only the VTS bothered me, maybe I'm a weirdo that is affected by Witch Hazel?

Anyway..if it's a different formula that is causing issues for you I don't know what to tell you. But if it's definitely WEN causing it, take a break and see if it clears up. If it does, then you'll know.

I will never give up my WEN, so I just use BGT in my routine twice a week instead of daily.

I am one that has an issue with these ingredients. And witch hazel can be drying and irritating for some as well.

Hate to say it, but nice to not be alone in this haha.

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear about your problem. As many have said, it does sound like you are allergic to something. Have you called the WEN help line?

I use BGT with clarisonic as daily cleanser for my combo skin, and have great results.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Re: WEN and face acne

[ Edited ]

You are not the first to say they got acne from wen. I would say that if it started the same time you started wen then yes its the cause. Only thing i can think of is stop useing wen or make sure you throughy clean your face   after useing wen. Since you like wen I suggest  washing your face be your last step. maybe it will help?

Honored Contributor

This is the second old beauty thread that I've seen revived by what appears to be a new poster here just in the last couple minutes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Re: WEN and face acne

[ Edited ]

Have acne on my body and some on my face. Basically all over, yea for oily skin lol. What a dermatologist told me, if you developing acne after showering make sure you wash your face & body last after you wash/condition hair. Don't wash in between the shampooing process, or first, always cleanse last. Since doing this, break out less when using moisturizing shampoos. He said most people should use the cleanse last method because its less irritating to the skin. 

Honored Contributor

@Kjelle wrote:

I would nurse my face back to health and then use a different formula.There are WEn formulas in wheat, soy and rice. The WEN Kids formulas are referred to as WEN free. They are without soy, nuts, gluten, wheat, and I can't remember what else. I am sure you can find a WEN formula that doesn't cause a reaction. Call the Salon if you want a little guidance on that. The number is on the back of the bottle. They will gladly help you.

@Kjelle and @Rachb, the Kids formulas also are menthol free, and they have jojoba in them either. -- Occasionally Chaz will mention that certain formulas are also jojoba free, so I am assuming that some folks also have a sensitivity to it as well. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

___

Wen Kids Cleansing Conditioners

all rice-based - no wheat, gluten, soy, jojoba or nuts / menthol-free 

* formulas: Apple (WKA), Watermelon (WKW) & Strawberry-Banana (WKSB)

* Note: Classic CCs and Kids CCs do not have the Wen 11 amino acid complex.

___

Respected Contributor
OP chiming in here.....I've pretty much moved on from Wen. I have some left and will use it as conditioner on my ends after shampooing once in a blue moon (maybe every 3-4 months.) Though I still get a pimple or two every so often, I definitely blame Wen for the cystic acne problem I had when I first posted. Since not using it regularly, I haven't been plagued with pimples like I was while using the products. It was awful!