Frequent Contributor

I went home for lunch and the TSV had been delivered today.  Here are my first thoughts.  I used the products for a touch up so this is not a review of them by themselves. I already had on powder foundation and all eye makeup, but it needed touching up. 

Foundation:  I ran the brush across the foundation and powder immediately flew up. So it is powdery. I ordered the light and it is a yellow toned light. In MAC I am NW 20 or NW22 which is a neutral light-medium with cool undertones. I can get away with wearing a yellowish foundation as long as it's not too yellow and I did sweep some of this on. It looks fine. I didn't think there was anything creamy about this though, but tomorrow I will wear it by itself and see what I think.

Brush: I have never been impressed with Mally's brushes and this one is no exception. It's ok but not very dense and I don't think it's the best brush to apply this foundation. The powder just seemed to fly around rather than ahere to the brush. I will try one of my IT brushes tomorrow. 

Shadow Sticks: I like these... the smoky quartz is very similar to a Trish McEvoy smoky quartz shadow stick I have that is my favorite. It's slightly lighter than Trish's color. It's sorta a smoky rasin color.  I am curious to see the wear time I get out of these because I can typically get about 5 hours out of Mally's shadow sticks before they are creasing and disappearing.  The champaign color is just that....a very light, shimmery yellowish beige.  Good highlight shade. 

Mascara: Well, I put this on over the mascara I had on and it went on very easily. No clumping and no mess. And it looks good.   It was not a wet formula at all in fact, I was surprised it seemed a little dry. But again, I will wear it by itself tomorrow and see. 

Lip Color:  I could tell from watching the presentation that I would not like this color and I don't. It's too light... a very light, pale pink.  It just about makes my lips disappear on my face.   If I keep the set, I will use it as a top coat to tone down some darker colors. It is a laquor. It feels thick while on. I will see what the wear time is. 

So, those are my first impressions. I will wear nothing but these products ( except for lips) tomorrow and see what I think.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mally TSV First Impressions

I like a lot of Mally's products, but this kit didn't even appeal to me.  I'm not a fan of powder foundations and I seldom wear mascara.  The gloss looked too light so the only things I would use would be shadow sticks.

Respected Contributor

@Mollyqr thanks for the great review.

I went out on a limb and purchased this.  Disappointed to hear that the foundation may not be all that creamy.  I guess we'll see.  I went with the fair as I can't wear anything with a yellow understone.  I think the last thing I purchased from Mally for face coverage was too yellow and I ended up throwing it out.  I liked the looks of the shadow colors and the lip color ... I like the lighter pinks so I hope I'll be happy with that.  I also don't prefer a wet mascara .. I have very, very sparse lashes and wet mascara does not apply good. 

I appreciate your review!

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your initial impressions. I look forward to reading your review when you use the products on a fresh face. The lipgloss was actually the one thing I thought looked pretty and I was most tempted by. I thought the shadow stick (not the champagne the other one) looked really pretty but my experience with her new "reformulated" shadow stick formulations has put me off buying any more of them. I've never been impressed with the look of her foundations, honestly. Not on more fair skinned models at least. I am fair skinned with neutral tones and don't like the yellow based colors, which her foundations often lean towards. She needs to realize that some of us are actually neutral and/or pink toned and not all yellow toned.

Respected Contributor

@Mollyqr  Hey, thanks for your first impressions.  I was on the fence for awhile, but I did cave and order it in the tan.  (Like I need to try any more makeup!)  I do like her shadow sticks because they go on easily and stay on for me.  I especially need that light champagne color for a lid highlighter on my reddish lids.......still looking for that makeup that will make me look 35 again!  (I'd actually settle for 40.) Heart

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Thank you very much for your first impressions.  I have never really liked Mally's products (for me) but I hesitated and almost bought the TSV because after all these years I thought maybe her products might have changed.

I can't wear a light with a yellow base (I'm cool tone based) and look like I've eaten something bad.... and I prefer a foundation that isn't powder.

I have to have a little more color in the lipstick provided.... 

So, I'm now convinced the last TSV wasn't for me.  Maybe the next one will be.....?

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the review.  I'm a tad nervous about you saying that the Light has yellow.  That will be a no go for me.  I need something new, and I rarely buy anymore cause they don't show shade swatches on an arm.  Heck, they only showed the shades from afar last night, and not close enough to really see anything...And I even paused the TV and went up close to the screen.  LOL  

Because of the free S&H, I got the Light &  Medium.  I'm in between, and figured if I have to, I can mix.  Hoping for the best, but if not, at least I only have to pay return shipping one way.

Any company hates returns, but the Q sure doesn't make it easy for us to choose a shade.  It would only take 20 seconds to have swatches already on the inside of an arm and show it. I just don't get it. 

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@Mistic  With all due respect........I'm not sure how they could "swatch" a powder.  (?)

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

At the least I think they could show the opened compacts of the powder foundations lined up and start at one end and slowly go to the deepest shade, describing each and doing a closeup on this, not a long shot which is what they tend to do.  I didn't order, don't like Mally products much, but all foundations should be shown better when they are presented.  

Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Mistic  With all due respect........I'm not sure how they could "swatch" a powder.  (?)

Hi 2blonde.....I've seen it done on the other stations, and also online on YTube.  It's not as great as showing a liquid, but it does help.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey