Respected Contributor

Re: Thinking of going to a light brown eye liner

I think a brown may be less harsh.

I get tired of them telling us we need the "blackest black." No, sometimes it is too harsh!

I also feel eyeliner in general makes my eyes look smaller.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

I prefer a gray rather than black or brown. Often browns have a reddish cast which I don't care for. The gray is softer and less harsh than black and blends well with black mascara. I use just a thin, subtle line right at the base of the lashes.

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 GoodStuff said:

I prefer a gray rather than black or brown. Often browns have a reddish cast which I don't care for. The gray is softer and less harsh than black and blends well with black mascara. I use just a thin, subtle line right at the base of the lashes.

I never thought of wearing a gray, but you peaked my interest. I have blue/gray eyes and have worn brown for years. It makes my eyes pop without being harsh. I am fair/med complected with tons of faded freckles. What brand and color gray do you use, may I ask?

Trusted Contributor

I only use a dark brown eyeliner. I'm brunette. I like Smashbox liquid liner or Stila liner. I used to use Lancome Artliner, but it's about $30 now. Way overpriced.

I can't use pencils, I never seem to get any pigmentation. I saw a Laura Geller presentation on her eyeliner and people seem to rave about it. I just get tired of buying eyeliner that either doesn't go on easily or dries out fast.

Bare Minerals liner transfers for me. It doesn't stay on right and smears easily.

I wish someone would make the perfect eyeliner!

Respected Contributor

On 1/3/2015 shoekitty said:
On 1/3/2015 GoodStuff said:

I never thought of wearing a gray, but you peaked my interest. I have blue/gray eyes and have worn brown for years. It makes my eyes pop without being harsh. I am fair/med complected with tons of faded freckles. What brand and color gray do you use, may I ask?

I also never thought of gray I have the same questions as the other poster TIA

Trusted Contributor

shoekitty and cuddlesmama

I do the same thing with gray as I do with brown. Dark gray shade tightlined on top and a lighter gray at the lash line (not the actual water line) on bottom. Again, I use pencils and the pencils I have for this combo are Jordana and Wet 'n Wild.

Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil in Charcoal Definition on top. This is the supremely soft creamy easy glide pencil that I already mentioned in Espresso Last for my brown combo. You'll need a pencil sharpener for this.

Jordana 12 Hr Eyeliner Pencil

The gray I have is by Wet 'n Wild and also called Charcoal (but it is very light and should be called something like Dove Gray), imo. It's an automatic pencil with a smudger on one end called Megalast Retractable Eyeliner. It's quite a hard dry pencil and not very pigmented but works for me. It's also very inexpensive so not too painful if it doesn't work for you.

Wet n Wild MegaLast Retractable Eye Pencil, Charcoal 694A- 1 ea

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Super Contributor

I'm fair and blonde (light green eyes) and have only used light brown or taupe eyeliners.

I tried black when I was much younger ... not the look I was going for.

Regular Contributor

Fun thread and I'm getting some great ideas. I, too, prefer a soft eyeliner in soft browns, taupes, and grays. Black is way too harsh for me. I'm fair, dark-haired with small, deep-set lightish gray-blue eyes that are (sadly) getting hooded, so for me most of the action with definition is on the lower lash line. If you want to check out some inexpensive drugstore options while you figure out what you like, I own a couple of Cover Girl eye pencils in soft brown shades that I like (one is called "smokey taupe" which is a soft gray-brown, the other a bit darker brown called "mink"). Neither of them have any red undertones which I like, especially for my lower lash line. They don't have terrific lasting power but they are nice and smudgeable. For higher end, I really love Urban Decay's eye pencil called "Ether" a really beautiful and subtle gray/amethyst, with just a whisper of shimmer. Have fun in your search and let us know how it all ends.Cool

Esteemed Contributor

Try a charcoal color
Respected Contributor

On 1/6/2015 MrsSweetieBear said:

shoekitty and cuddlesmama

I do the same thing with gray as I do with brown. Dark gray shade tightlined on top and a lighter gray at the lash line (not the actual water line) on bottom. Again, I use pencils and the pencils I have for this combo are Jordana and Wet 'n Wild.

Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil in Charcoal Definition on top. This is the supremely soft creamy easy glide pencil that I already mentioned in Espresso Last for my brown combo. You'll need a pencil sharpener for this.

Jordana 12 Hr Eyeliner Pencil

The gray I have is by Wet 'n Wild and also called Charcoal (but it is very light and should be called something like Dove Gray), imo. It's an automatic pencil with a smudger on one end called Megalast Retractable Eyeliner. It's quite a hard dry pencil and not very pigmented but works for me. It's also very inexpensive so not too painful if it doesn't work for you.

Wet n Wild MegaLast Retractable Eye Pencil, Charcoal 694A- 1 ea

Thank you very much for taking the time to post these pencils very sweet of you. Thanks again!!