Occasional Contributor

Question on how to incorporate Paulas Choice 1% retinol in my routine

I use Lancome Genifique, Dr. Denese advanced firming pads and was wondering how and in what order I would apply the Paula's Choice 1% retinol product sold here on QVC ( in purple canister)
Honored Contributor

Re: Question on how to incorporate Paulas Choice 1% retinol in my routine

It has been my belief to always use a retinoid product alone and on clean, dry skin at night with maybe a moisturizer if you are experiencing dryness or sensitivity issues. Start out using it for a couple times a week then see how your skin reacts but don't stop using it. Skin takes time to adjust.

Esteemed Contributor

I would use the Lancôme serum during the day. At night I would use the firming pads then the 1% retinol. After the retinol your moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

@KaiaMarie...the rule with skincare is thinnest to thickest. I use PC’s 1% Retinol, and use it as step #3 in my nighttime routine.

Regardless of brand:

1) Cleanser

2) Toner

3) Retinol

4) Serum

5) Moisturizer

6) Eye Cream

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Occasional Contributor

@SurferWife, the Dr.Denese Advanced firming Facial pads are an exfoliant pad that you do not rinse off. Do I use them before the retinol, or after?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaiaMarie...you should use your exfoliant first, BUT be careful! If you have sensitive skin it may not be able to handle both at the same time. Mine can’t. I have to exfoliate in the morning only, then use retinol at night. Your skin will tell you what it can/can’t handle. When I try to use BOTH exfoliant and retinol at the same time, my skin gets BRIGHT RED & BURNS.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I would not use an exfoliant or exfoliate your skin before applying retinol. You will have a better experience using retinol if you are gentle with your skin and by keeping things simple. Do not scrub your face before applying retinol. Be as gentle as possible.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee...the OP isn’t using an exfoliating scrub; she is using Dr. D’s Exfoliating pads. Nonetheless, I did suggest she should not exfoliate and use retinol at the same time.

Contributor

@KaiaMarie- I also use Lancome's Genefique serum and Retin A.  As others have stated, I use Genefique in the morning and Retin A in the evening.  

Trusted Contributor

@KaiaMarie Do the Lancome and Dr. Denese products have retinol in them?  For some reason I was thinking Lancome did.  If they do you might need to rotate them.  Your skin might not be able to handle a double dose at the same time.