Respected Contributor

Re: Question on how to incorporate Paulas Choice 1% retinol in my routine

@SurferWifewrote:

@KaiaMarie...you should use your exfoliant first, BUT be careful! If you have sensitive skin it may not be able to handle both at the same time. Mine can’t. I have to exfoliate in the morning only, then use retinol at night. Your skin will tell you what it can/can’t handle. When I try to use BOTH exfoliant and retinol at the same time, my skin gets BRIGHT RED & BURNS.

I agree, I would proceed with caution.

If you're new to retinol, I would also start slowly, using it twice a week, then every other day, and build up to every day. Some people can't use it every day without getting dryness or irritation, so it's best to start slow and build up. The more things you use, like exfoliating pads and a retinoal and Genifique, the more irritation can happen. Genifique has Alcohol Denat in it, which can cause irritation and dryness on its own. You may not experience that now, but adding in additional irritants could cause problems, so build up and see how it goes.

You may need to alternate products at different times or days, because between the firming pads, the Genifique, and the retintol, you have a lot of things in the mix that can cause irritation.