Respected Contributor

Re: Please help! I have old hair! It's wiry, frizzy and cantankerous --- just like me! Ha!

On 5/31/2014 betteb said:

I also use that as a pre-treatment BUT to the poster I recomend an oil based shampoo like redken diamond oil and an argan oil add-in

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help! I have old hair! It's wiry, frizzy and cantankerous --- just like me! Ha!

On 6/5/2014 kcladyz said:
On 5/31/2014 betteb said:

Garnier® Fructis® Marvelous Oil Frizz Defy 5-Action Hair Elixir - 5 oz

I also use that as a pre-treatment BUT to the poster I recomend an oil based shampoo like redken diamond oil and an argan oil add-in

Yes this has become my HG, I rub a bit in my hair every night but I just realized I have been using the Diamond Oil Shampoo also,.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Today I used the Colorproof shampoo and conditioner (by the maker of Pureology). I had used the moisture one which was just okay, but this PINK one---called Crazy Smooth---I really love!

I usually use WEN seasonals and styling cream, as I mentioned before, and I like those. Wanted to experiment.

Regular Contributor

Try Carol's daughter products, it's made for all types of hair. Her Manoi line has rave reviews.

Super Contributor

On 5/31/2014 vaccinia said:
On 5/31/2014 Sassenach1 said:

Alterna Anti-Aging Caviar Shampoo and Conditioner

This will make a HUGE difference in your hair! I can't recommend it enough. It is pricey, but well worth it.

ITA -- and will add that Moroccanoil (brand) hair treatment has done wonders to tame my frizz. My hairdresser gave me a sample a couple of years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I use it on damp hair before I blow dry. Expensive, but I only use about a dime size amount on my shoulder length hair starting about midshaft down to the ends (you can use it on your scalp, too, if needed). You can also use it on dry hair between washes, but I usually forget.

You can get it in a travel size to try.

Amen to these products (Alterna and the original Morroccan Oil brand) for 50's hair!
Valued Contributor

I was a non-Wen girl for years. I resisted with big ""hooey""! Not sure why. Overhyped? Disbelief?? I'm here to tell you to get some and TRY IT for a month! If you use the right flavor (I love Bamboo Green Tea) in right amount & right way you might just be surprised like I was. My hair is so happy now. Curls have revived and I only wash 1x per week! SO MUCH BODY! I use NO tools just ionic dryer with diffuser and a bit of another brand styling cream plus Wen at end while still dripping wet. I have always had good hair but im old now and my hair isnt anymore. Yes I'm pushing you to possible Happy Hair! Send it back if you don't like it. But you will !!!
Super Contributor

I think so many of us deal with this frizzy hair as we age. I would also recommend getting a good stylist and a good cut. A few layers can make all the difference. And get it trimmed on a regular basis. There are so many products out there and everyone's hair is different. If you can find a good stylist that is half the battle.

Super Contributor

I'm surprised no one has mentioned organic coconut oil.

I use an Organic Coconut Oil as a treatment at least 2x monthly. I have wavy fine hair.

Coconut oil get solid at a certain temp, but it turns to liquid in the palm of your hand.

I wet my hair or shower put in about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and work it through my hair. You can put a shower cap over your coated hair, or even use the hairdryer to really get the heat to help penetrate the oil to the hair. Sometimes I sleep in it.

I wash it out in the morning, it takes me 2 shampoos to wash it out, but my hair is lovely, it smells wonderful, and it's not frizzy.

You can even use a teeny tiny bit of coconut oil warm it in your hands and then rub it through your ends for extra shine and conditioning.

Super Contributor