Honored Contributor

Need clarification on sunscreens for face - still confused????

I know this topic has been addressed probably many times and I think I have also, however, I'm still not clear!

Having recently undergone mohs surgery on my scalp for basal cell cancer, I am even now more aware of what sun exposure can do to you -- especially if you're very fair and can't tolerate the sun.

I have been trying out a bunch of different facial sunscreen products and most of them I just don't like.  They are too greasy, I don't like the texture, they are heavy and a lot of them don't play well with my foundation!

Also, I was doing some reading on physical (mineral) versus chemical sunscreens. 

Is there a way to definitely tell which is which when you purchase???? 

I know it's important to distinguish because I read if the product is physical (mineral), then  you apply it last - after your moisturizer!!!  If the product is chemical, then you apply it before your moisturizer!! I never realized that it mattered!

There was also some information that states that physical (mineral) is probably less likely to cause a reaction or irritation.  But, chemical is lighter and works better with makeup.

Overall, they seemed to feel that physical (mineral) was safer to use.  

Also, when I use LG Balance & Brighten as my foundation (powder), then it has to go last so there is no way to change the ordder of that??? 

I have asked 2 different derms. for clarification and for specific product recommendations but I get no real info other than to stay out of the sun, wear a hat and wear a good sunscreen! 

If anyone can offer any real clarification to my confusion, I would appreciate it!

Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Need clarification on sunscreens for face - still confused????

[ Edited ]

The answer is very simple, a physical only sunscreen or mineral sunscreen, same thing, will contain either all zinc oxide or all titanium dioxide or a combo of both and no other active sunscreens. A chemical sunscreen will have things such as Avobenzone, etc for its sunscreen actives. 

I only use a physical or mineral one in my face. I usually a tinted one and no other foundation with it. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I've had "close call cancers" removed from my face. My derm recommends a sunscreen that's zinc oxide/titanium dioxide and not much else in there. I do wear a wide brim hat (not straw with holes that lets the sun through) and wear my spf every day rqain or shine....it keeps you in the habit.

The best one I've found is the Skinceuticals Physical Sunscreen and it's not greasy, plays well with makeup.

If you have any difficulty wearing it under powder makeup, you may not be waiting the 1/2 hour for it to dry down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 @Shelbelle 

I have determined that I need to use a sunscreen that actually works..

without sensitivity or titanium dioxide (allergy)

Badger reef (newest try) (mineral) no...it is heavy and very white, but effective and safe. Good for my hands any time and on face when at pool thiscsumner

Anthelios: 50+ chemical and very effective at preventing dark spots: I use this one when I can and I like it under makeup or on hands and arms no sensitivity and doesn't burn eyes!

Elta MD: recommended as safe for me but it's runny. Very low sensitivity and really works AS LONG AS I APPLY IT early and leave it to soak in...which adds time to my routine ...so I don't use it very often...hassle!

Really great but discontinued: Walgreens sport stick. Use it first thing in the morning face and arms to prevent skin darkening from device screens, etc. This has become a primary aging preventer for me.

IMG_0899.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

The answer is very simple, a physical only sunscreen or mineral sunscreen, same thing, will contain either all zinc oxide or all titanium dioxide or a combo of both and no other active sunscreens. A chemical sunscreen will have things such as Avobenzone, etc for its sunscreen actives. 

I only use a physical or mineral one in my face. I usually a tinted one and no other foundatioin with it. 

@Shelbelle 

Well, for instance I just purchased yesterday this one:  Neutrogina Clear Face - Face Serum Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60+ - Fragrance Free.  It says it is light weight, non-greasy.   It says it's Oxybenzone Free.  The first ingredients are:  Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octislate, Octocrylene.  It says it doesn't leave a white cast and can act as a makeup primer.  So, do you think this is a Physical sunscreen then?  And would be applied after moisturizer?  Thanks for your reply!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I've had "close call cancers" removed from my face. My derm recommends a sunscreen that's zinc oxide/titanium dioxide and not much else in there. I do wear a wide brim hat (not straw with holes that lets the sun through) and wear my spf every day rqain or shine....it keeps you in the habit.

The best one I've found is the Skinceuticals Physical Sunscreen and it's not greasy, plays well with makeup.

If you have any difficulty wearing it under powder makeup, you may not be waiting the 1/2 hour for it to dry down.

@Shanus 

I know this sounds dumb but I am honestly ready to cry!  I have a line-up of facial sunscreens on my dresser and all of them I hate! 

I don't go in the sun per se, what exposure I have is just going in and out of the house to goi some place, being in the car and then doing a bit of yard work, where I wear a sun hat and cover myself up pretty much from top to bottom.  

So, the one you have and use on your face is the Skinceuticals Physical Sunscreen?  

I have tried different sunscreens under the powder makeup.  I always wait a while after applying a sunscreen to my face before applying any makeup, but I don't think I wait 1/2 hour.   

Thank you!! 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 @Shelbelle 

I have determined that I need to use a sunscreen that actually works..

without sensitivity or titanium dioxide (allergy)

Badger reef (newest try) (mineral) no...it is heavy and very white, but effective and safe. Good for my hands any time and on face when at pool thiscsumner

Anthelios: 50+ chemical and very effective at preventing dark spots: I use this one when I can and I like it under makeup or on hands and arms no sensitivity and doesn't burn eyes!

Elta MD: recommended as safe for me but it's runny. Very low sensitivity and really works AS LONG AS I APPLY IT early and leave it to soak in...which adds time to my routine ...so I don't use it very often...hassle!

Really great but discontinued: Walgreens sport stick. Use it first thing in the morning face and arms to prevent skin darkening from device screens, etc. This has become a primary aging preventer for me.

IMG_0899.jpeg

@LTT1 

Thank you for your input!  You're most kind!  I don't know.  I don't know.  I have so many other things to do to get myself put together to get out in the world.  I usually don't have the time to sit around for 1/2 hour waiting for a sunscreen to soak in before I put makeup on!  I wish my skin looked decent without makeup, but it just doesn't!  It's red and blotchy and has broken caps and often breaks out because of the rosacea!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

If you can find a sport stick that is non-greasy, I have found they go a long way for me in preventing the type of damage you mention.

Possibly some days making my facial skin almost makeup optional!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I only use a physical or mineral one in my face. I usually a tinted one and no other foundatioin with it. 

@Shelbelle 

Well, for instance I just purchased yesterday this one:  Neutrogina Clear Face - Face Serum Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60+ - Fragrance Free.  It says it is light weight, non-greasy.   It says it's Oxybenzone Free.  The first ingredients are:  Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octislate, Octocrylene.  It says it doesn't leave a white cast and can act as a makeup primer.  So, do you think this is a Physical sunscreen then?  And would be applied after moisturizer?  Thanks for your reply!!

The one you bought is definitely NOT a physical sunscreen it has so many chemicals in it. It is a totally chem sunscreen. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

If you can find a sport stick that is non-greasy, I have found they go a long way for me in preventing the type of damage you mention.

Possibly some days making my facial skin almost makeup optional!

@LTT1 

A sport stick -- so this is a solid sun screen?  I will look around.  Thanks!