Respected Contributor

Re: NAIL POLISH COLOR FOR UGLY HANDS 😒

I have big ugly man hands. Darker colors really look best. I love a shiny berry or deep cocoa color.
Honored Contributor

I don't have ugly hands but for the past 2ish years I've had swollen knuckles due to arthritis so to me, they're not attractive.  I used to wear bright pinks (all shades of pink actually) and matched my nails to the seasons or holidays.  In highschool I wore really dark colors like Black Cherry.  Something like this

Photo of Revlon Nail Enamel, Vixen 570 - 0.5 fl ozThat came after the early 70s of pastel yellow, blue and mint green polish. 

And atm I can't do my nails due to dexterity and numbness issues.  But in the more recent years I've worn pale pale pink, off white shimmers, pearl, natural colors that tend to extend the length of my fingers and not draw attention to them.  My husband loves my hands, bless his heart.  Tip: everything thing I put on my face goes on my hands...EVERYthing.  I've been doing this for about a year and a half.  They weren't wrinkly before but I can see they're smoother and brighter due to daytime and nightly products I use.   It's been an adjustment not wearing polish.  I don't feel as "polished" lol, get it, polished? Smiley Wink  I've only had my nails done at a salon one time.  It was before our first cruise in 2006.  I wore light champagne color (champagne/ivory colored gown) on my wedding but did my own manicure.

Honored Contributor

I would suggest a neutral shell pink, not anything white that calls attention to the nail.

If you want something to fall back from view, we don't use a bright color.

Honored Contributor

Bright polish is more likely to draw attention to hands.  I don't have attractive hands and I keep my hands well groomed, however I never wear any polish because I don't want to draw attention to them.  Not on that, polish dries the nails making my brittle nails even worse. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

A pro manicure would be a treat, I always ask for extra moisturization and oils! Then a pale color, at home I will use Essie Ballet Slippers, an old reliable standby, but pretty!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin Have you tried A-329306 to moisturize your nails? I just ordered it for the winter weather and it's on the way! Good stuff when our nails become dry and possibly brittle. Usually my nails are long and strong, but medical issues have begun to take a toll on my nails during the cold Nebraska winters. (Who knew?)

During the colder months, I cease using nail polish (too drying) and only use the moisturizer. It protects and keeps my nails pretty. HTH. 

ETA: I've never tried Perfect Formula Gel Coat, but perhaps that might be the "polish" to try for your nails. They have a four-piece set (IIRC) which includes everything you would need (at a reasonable price) for the problems mentioned. Best wishes. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Hey those lovely working hands have served you well so far...given you a nice career in the beauty field!  Stop dissing them. 😉  Put some nice fragrant hand creme on them and a polish color you like, they deserve it!  Right now I have a beautiful greyish blue color on and I love it.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

You sound a bit like me!  I used to have really pretty hands.  They were slender and small and I have long, thin fingers.  My nails were alway very nice and I kept them polished in many different jewel tones.  Now, the skin on my hands is transparent and veiny and thin and my hands are very old looking!  I am very self-conscious about them. I think we are too hard on ourselves.  We focus on what we feel are our negative qualities and think other people do, too.  The truth is, most people don't even notice!

If you feel like you want to use a bright color, which is cheerful and happy, then by all means, do so!  As long as your nails are well groomed and you use hand cream, then it's all good!

I tend to go for a nice nude color on my nails.  It gives a more finished and smooth look, and I think it gives a more lean, lengthy look to the hands and nails, but does not cause any extra attention to the hands or fingers!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Thanks so much everyone...you were all very uplifting,  and offered great advice.   I do moisturize them all day, and I like my nails short and slightly square,  I just soften the corners.  I do have lousy nails, very ridged, they split, and cuticles always need to be cleaned up.  I honestly do all the maintenance mentioned here, the gloves, spf, creams, etc.  I guess it's as good as it gets.

I love Essie polishes, and Opi, and I also sometimes use Essie gel polish...no doubt, very nice finish...just doesn't make my hands look nice ...oh well.   Thanks everyone, I enjoyed reading your replies😀.

Respected Contributor

@knittykitty , what is the Glass mani pedi?

Is it a polish...?  Where can I get it?