New Contributor

How often should a tube of mascara be replaced?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mascara replacement time

I don't go by any rule. I always have 3-4 mascaras open at any time. There are just too many to try & so many I like. Sometimes I use 1. Sometimes I layer them. So I use them until they start to change texture. Get gloppy or drier than they were. 

Super Contributor

I believe it's supposed to be very 3 months.  I usually replace mine between 4 and 5 months when it's almost gone.

Honored Contributor

@Hopeful one wrote:

How often should a tube of mascara be replaced?  

There is usually a symbol on the package that has a number on it -- 6, 12 or 24 months.

General rule of thumb is every 3 months (if used daily) but as @Dusty1 said, if you have several open at a time, that rule goes out the window. What I usually do is take a piece of masking tape, write the date I put the mascara into use and refer to that date for reference. Replace accordingly -- if product dries out, doesn't cover well etc.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I want to add another note to this song.  Please replace any mascara you use immediately if you have any kind of infection/discharge.  I'd even suggest that if you have a cold coming on or in full bloom, use one mascara only during it and then discard that tube.

New Contributor

Thank you, ladies.

Honored Contributor

I too have heard 2-3 months. It depends too on how heavily you put it on. But when I can't really see it anymore, it's my time to replace.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't really matter how often it's used, mascara should be replaced every 3 months.  Regardless if it's used once or 50 times, after 3 months bacteria can grow inside the tube.  Better safe than sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

They say every three months. I usually follow that advice but I have allergies and sensitivies so it's more for that reason. I do have multiple tubes open. I will toss them earlier when they start to look dry or clumpy or have an "off" smell. I used Mally's mascara and never had a problem with it. Once her company had the $ problems then I had to go on my mascara "quest" .....again. I purchased six different brands to see what was going to work and last. 

Honored Contributor

I TRY to follow the 2-3 month rule but I keep forgetting when I opened the fresh one! lol

I really need to start writing it down...

I have many in queue and some I've never used before so the time can't go by fast enough!