Honored Contributor

Re: Mascara replacement time

When it dries out/stops working. I have 2 or 3 that I rotate or will use together. For me, it's around the 5 month mark that I need to replace them. Sometimes sooner.

Honored Contributor

I replace mine when it's dried up.  I have no idea when that is.  Right now I have 3 mascaras opened that I am using.  One is in my make-up bag that's in my purse and I will guarantee it's well over 6 months old.  I just used it this morning.

I have never in my life had any eye infection or eye issue at all and I'm a contact lense wearer.      

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

I TRY to follow the 2-3 month rule but I keep forgetting when I opened the fresh one! lol

I really need to start writing it down...

I have many in queue and some I've never used before so the time can't go by fast enough!

@Andreatoo

This might help...when fall comes,  how about tossing all of the old, opened ones and starting a new one?  Then you can change mascara every 3 months when the season changes!  Works really well for me.

Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Honored Contributor

@TasMss wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

I TRY to follow the 2-3 month rule but I keep forgetting when I opened the fresh one! lol

I really need to start writing it down...

I have many in queue and some I've never used before so the time can't go by fast enough!

@Andreatoo

This might help...when fall comes,  how about tossing all of the old, opened ones and starting a new one?  Then you can change mascara every 3 months when the season changes!  Works really well for me.

@TasMss

I only open one at a time. I'm working on the electric lancome....Yea it's bizarre but actually pretty good! I'm planning on tossing it at the end of month.

Next in queue is the Eyeko in the squeeze tube.

Trusted Contributor

I go two months because I prefer a fresh tube & buy waterproof mascara at the drugstore that usually costs six dollars.

Honored Contributor

I've also heard 3 months after opening. That's probably a good estimate for how long I keep mine. I saw a tip that you can add a few drops of Visine to mascara to refresh it if it's getting dry and clumpy. I did try that, and it works. 

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't add anything to my mascara. If it changes, it's time to toss (Or Back To Mac it.) & if I had any illness that may affect (effect?) my mascara it would go. But, I do think if you are only using a mascara 1 day out of 5 you would be introducing less bacteria to the mascara than if you were using it daily? Anyway. I am old & have been using mascara for a long, long, long, long time & luckily haven't had any problems. I do love my mascaras!

Honored Contributor

I guess I am bad.... I might wear mascara one time per week. I have many old tubes open....I do not throw out unless they dry out. Usually they dry out way before I use them up.  I never throw them out every three months.  Same goes for my makeup....I never worry about dates or anything. Never have. Oh well....

Honored Contributor

Anything that is liquid, I would mark when it's opened and use up within 3-5 months time -- if used on a daily basis.

Obviously, less use, you might expand the time frame, but I would probably toss at 6 months.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I replace mine when they start to dry out.  Haven't had any problems doing it this way.