Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CherryHugs     Hmm... this is a complicated question.  And hard feelings may come from  my answer....  I hope not.

I let my hair go  natural silver/ white 5 years ago when I retired...... I do take care of my skin( always have)  and I feel I have nice skin.... but,  at 62, you just have some aging going on and that is just reality....  now retired wear hardly any makeup other than blush and lip if I go out.   I do not call what I do letting myself go...  I am accepting the beauty of a new chapter in my life.  My main concern now is HEALTH. I want to be healthy and strong.  

I think you are  ( in a backwards way) saying that  being   YOUR NATURAL SELF is not a good thing.... and you are comparing your way of trying to look younger  to women who choose to just be themselves.

You know....  maybe some people look at you as " TRYING TOO HARD" and do not say anything as not wanting to hurt your feelings.  As far as guessing your age... who is going to say you LOOK OLDER? I mean REALLY????    You say you are 60...  makeup and hair do not only  make a 60 year old look that much younger... there are other things going on that show our age.  I can usually point out most women 60 with  full makeup and no grey ...  pretty easy....

. Really the only important thing is that YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOU. And your friends who are happy in their  natural skin SO  BE IT... You say you are so the opposite.... SO WHAT? 

You said:

Around the house I dont wear makeup but never leave the house without.

These "friends"  are doing what makes them feel true to themselves and probably worry about REAL THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT... and not if they leave the house with a face full of makeup or not.

I see many women  my age who wear all the makeup, color their hair  etc....   is fine with me  and I do not compare myself to them needing to do that to feel good about one's self.

@SeaMaiden. Well said. 🌹

Honored Contributor

Something that always makes me shake my head are women who wear full MU to the gym - or the pool. If you are at the gym and you aren't breaking a sweat, you may as well go home. And if you are sweating - as you should be - that MU is just a waste because your sweating it off. So often I'll see someone wipe their face with a towel and the towel is then covered in MU. To each their own , but who are you trying to impress at the gym?That said - yes, I do recognize that some women only go to the gym to meet men. And as for makeup in the pool - to anyone with any common sense that should not need explained.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

I don't think anything ages a person more than gray hair or hair that is colored an obviously false color like bright red or dark brown/black.  I wish I didn't care about aging, but I do.  I have always been considered very pretty, and this aging thing has been much harder on me than I would have ever dreamed. I get my roots professionally colored every five weeks, use retin a/sunscreen, etc., use the Nuface and a light therapy device, and keep current with makeup and clothing.  I keep my weight at a lower range for my height.  I must be doing something right, because my new doctor told me to keep up what I'm doing, because I look 10 years younger than I am.  He said, "I see a lot of patients, so I'm a good one to judge."  Talk about making my day.  

That being said, how liberating and free it would feel to get out of the grind of coloring and fixing my hair, getting it cut short for easy maintenance, and not having to wear makeup.  How wonderful to just be able to drop whatever I'm doing and walk out the door to go somewhere without the hour and a half (or more) it takes to "look good."  I confess that there are sometimes I don't go somewhere or plan a lunch date with someone just because I don't want to have to go through fixing up.  Smiley Sad  

@Ainhisg  An hour and 1/2 ? That’s a lot of time to look “good”.  Any way to eliminate a few steps?

@Ainhisg- What about going to the grocery store, etc. 

Are you able to go out to places like that without makeup?  Places like that, I feel fine without wearing anything, but sunscreen.  Perhaps you can take baby steps and try going to a few low-keyed places not made and see how it feels?

Yes, I can go to the grocery store, exercise outside, and run errands without makeup/hair "primping."  I just can't go somewhere where I think I'll see someone I know without looking my best.  Or if my husband and I got out, I want to look my best then, too.  And the hour and a half prep time is including showering/shaving, drying the hair, etc.  It's only when I'm around strangers (running errands, grocery shopping, etc.---I live in a pretty large urban area) that I go "as is."  lol

Respected Contributor

Re: Could you do this?

[ Edited ]

Check out Tan France the style guru on Netflix's Queer Eye. He's almost completely grey at 35 and he looks fabulous with his modern haircut. His hair is gorgeous and it's grey. I had my hair in a pixie several years ago. When my hair was combed up it looked similar except his hair extends higher up.

He's a great example that having healthy, shiny and beautiful hair is more important than the color. This is what I aim for now and when I decide to stop coloring.

Tan France.png

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Something that always makes me shake my head are women who wear full MU to the gym - or the pool. If you are at the gym and you aren't breaking a sweat, you may as well go home. And if you are sweating - as you should be - that MU is just a waste because your sweating it off. So often I'll see someone wipe their face with a towel and the towel is then covered in MU. To each their own , but who are you trying to impress at the gym?That said - yes, I do recognize that some women only go to the gym to meet men. And as for makeup in the pool - to anyone with any common sense that should not need explained.

@151949  .....also when you sweat (at gym) w/ makeup on, it goes into your pores and could cause breakouts, blackheads or acne. Yuck.

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

Check out Tan France the style guru on Netflix's Queer Eye. He's almost completely grey at 35 and he looks fabulous with his modern haircut. His hair is gorgeous and it's grey. I had my hair in a pixie several years ago. When my hair was combed up it looked similar except his hair extends higher up.

He's a great example that having healthy, shiny and beautiful hair is more important than the color. This is what I aim for now and when I decide to stop coloring.

@NycVixen  Go for it! Freedom awaits.

Respected Contributor

Re: Could you do this?

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  I just added his photo. I have the same type of hair just a little wavy but it looks the same when I straighten it.

Doesn't his hair look amazing? That is beautiful hair regardless of the color but the grey suits him so well. He's making it acceptable for younger people to go grey at an earlier age and breaking down stereotypes.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@Shanus  I just added his photo. I have the same type of hair just a little wavy but it looks the same when I straighten it.

Doesn't his hair look amazing? That is beautiful hair regardless of the color but the grey suits him so well. He's making it acceptable for younger people to go grey at an earlier age and breaking down stereotypes.

@NycVixen  OMG I hope so. I get tired of people’s opinion that grey hair will age you 10 yrs. no matter the style, health of hair, age of person, makeup, manner of dress, etc. Thanks for the post. He’s a hottie for sure!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Moderation in all things. I truly believe that you can go overboard in worrying and primping far beyond what's needed to be presentable to others or to feel good about yourself.

A cliche for sure, but I'd rather be remembered for so many other things that my appearance.

Oh, and the whole gray thing? I have my roots done every six weeks, but I cringe at gray hair being included in what is supposedly necessary to one's appearance.

@suzyQ3 Thank you. I’m getting so tired of grey hair=aging. 

@Shanus, thank you, but I should clarify. I mentioned nothing about aging; I just meant that I don't think that coloring one's hair is a necessary factor in looking good.

But....I do think that in general gray hair is aging. After all, in general, gray hair is undeniably a part of the aging process. That doesn't mean that a person with gray hair can't look good or stunning.

Some see letting their hair go gray as a form of being free and natural. That's fine; it's also fine not to do so. Neither decision should be in any way denigrated, even subtly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I really try to stay current in all things.  Letting myself 'go' is not in my mindset.  However, women are all different; I try not to judge them.