Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Doable December!

I have a class today from 9 to 6.  Aaaargh.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette- I just posted that I have a couple of oils here that I'm not sure if I care for them or not, and they're good size bottles, I think 1.7 oz each. I don't have any wipes here, but do you know if I could just use the oils as an oil cleanser, like people use joboba or castor oil? I never even thught of that as an option, but it sounds like a good idea, I actually use plain old coconut oil as a cleanser half the time. 

@rnmom

Sure. I don’t see why you couldn’t use them for a cleanser.  Apparently many of the WEN models use those oils for cleansing, since it's mentioned often.  People use any type of oil, like you do with coconut oil.  (I remember when women would use Crisco on their faces.)  Wipes are not necessary; I often just use a washcloth for removing the oil, or whatever you do with your coconut.  Different oils have different properties, so try them out and see what they do and which ones you like, or not.

I have never personally just used an oil as a cleanser simply because having had oily skin all my life (until recently), I just can’t quite wrap my head around cleaning my face with oil.  It’s getting pretty cold and dry here now, so I might just give it a try.

@geezerette

I liked oil cleansing when I did it.  Called it "yoga for the face."  I gave it up because I could have spent an hour or more just massaging my face.  Went into a trance.  Not good when you have to get to your job.

But it really did remove a lot of crud from my pores.

@just bee

Sounds intriguing.  I’ll have to give it a go when I work up the courage and have the time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am loving the snow storm today. I didnt really expect it.  Sure they were calling for it but how many times have they come up short. 

I have started going through my hair products.  All of them from soups to nuts and am starting to declutter them.  Some shampoo I will use for hand soap but how much hand soap can I possibly use up in a reasonable amount of time.  Plus, I am not sure why I cant mentally get past using shampoo for hand soap.  It makes sense, it is soap, but.....weird how my brain is processing it.  I cant seem to find a good shampoo for my hair these days and I have tried everything from drugstore to high end.  My hair is so dry and conditioner does not seem to do the trick either.

With all the things I bought, I need to take time to organize it.  Maybe later on today or tomorrow, otherwise things will never get used and/or forgotten.  It is always good to keep a tab on things, it controls the urges a little bit.

All I know is that I am getting bombarded with Ulta ads. I signed up for their rewards about a month ago and even received their 20% off for the first time. How excited was I, lol. But, now I cant find anything to buy, which isnt a bad thing. I am sure I will find something.  I cant let the 20% go to waste, right?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am loving the snow storm today. I didnt really expect it.  Sure they were calling for it but how many times have they come up short. 

I have started going through my hair products.  All of them from soups to nuts and am starting to declutter them.  Some shampoo I will use for hand soap but how much hand soap can I possibly use up in a reasonable amount of time.  Plus, I am not sure why I cant mentally get past using shampoo for hand soap.  It makes sense, it is soap, but.....weird how my brain is processing it.  I cant seem to find a good shampoo for my hair these days and I have tried everything from drugstore to high end.  My hair is so dry and conditioner does not seem to do the trick either.

With all the things I bought, I need to take time to organize it.  Maybe later on today or tomorrow, otherwise things will never get used and/or forgotten.  It is always good to keep a tab on things, it controls the urges a little bit.

All I know is that I am getting bombarded with Ulta ads. I signed up for their rewards about a month ago and even received their 20% off for the first time. How excited was I, lol. But, now I cant find anything to buy, which isnt a bad thing. I am sure I will find something.  I cant let the 20% go to waste, right?

@aprilskies

I keep a pump bottle at the sink and fill it with whatever I need to get rid of -- a shower gel or a shampoo.  Once it's out of its original packaging and in the generic pump bottle it's hand soap.

And the Ulta emails are relentless.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee- I'm sure I could use the oils on my hands, back, feet, etc. All my skin is already so dry and itchy I can't stand it. It's more just a matter of remembering to use it.

I forgot that I do have some Pacifica face wipes already here, I could try using one of those to remove some of my makeup before I cleanse. 

So how is this for some backwards logic? I mentioned that I'm actually enjoying my Prai toner that I bought. I used it a couple of times and thought, hey, I really like this. So what's my first instinct? To actually NOT use it. Why? Because then I'd actually use it UP and it would be gone. And then what if I don't want to pay full price to replace it? (sound familiar) Then I wouldn't have any here and I really like it, so let's just not use it. Crazy huh? So I've actually been making myself use it, because I DO like it, and if I can't replace it when it's gone, so be it. I've lived this long without it, it's not the end of the world if I can't get more. But I was thinking about this yesterday and how messed up this thinking is. Why am I always trying to use up the products that I'm really not that crazy about but am hesitant to use the things I really like? I've been doing this for a long time, saving my favorites, and I guess I just have to be aware of it so that I can use my favorites too. Acknowledging the problem is the first step right? 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom

@geezerette

I use a Paula's Choice cleanser and I've been using her cleansers consistently for years.  When she debuted the cleansing oil I was tempted, but passed.  When I recently ordered more cleanser I found a cleansing oil sample in the box.

I haven't tried it and I'm not sure I want to pay $25 for 4 ounces.  Also wondering about the ingredients.

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient/texture enhancer), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (hydration/non-fragrant plant oil), MIPA-Laureth Sulfate (cleansing agent), Laureth-3 (emulsifier), Laureth-7 Citrate (cleansing agent), Triethylhexanoin (hydration), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil (non-fragrant plant oils), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (emollient), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (hydration).

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee- I'm sure I could use the oils on my hands, back, feet, etc. All my skin is already so dry and itchy I can't stand it. It's more just a matter of remembering to use it.

I forgot that I do have some Pacifica face wipes already here, I could try using one of those to remove some of my makeup before I cleanse. 

So how is this for some backwards logic? I mentioned that I'm actually enjoying my Prai toner that I bought. I used it a couple of times and thought, hey, I really like this. So what's my first instinct? To actually NOT use it. Why? Because then I'd actually use it UP and it would be gone. And then what if I don't want to pay full price to replace it? (sound familiar) Then I wouldn't have any here and I really like it, so let's just not use it. Crazy huh? So I've actually been making myself use it, because I DO like it, and if I can't replace it when it's gone, so be it. I've lived this long without it, it's not the end of the world if I can't get more. But I was thinking about this yesterday and how messed up this thinking is. Why am I always trying to use up the products that I'm really not that crazy about but am hesitant to use the things I really like? I've been doing this for a long time, saving my favorites, and I guess I just have to be aware of it so that I can use my favorites too. Acknowledging the problem is the first step right? 

@rnmom

We used to chat about saving favorites all the time here.  It's not just illogical -- it's pathological.

Items we keep that are too "good" to wear, too "good" to use.  I point to childhood items.  My mother gave me a beautiful doll from Italy and after I opened the package she made it clear that it was something I wouldn't be playing with because it was too "good."  In high school my parents bought a white leather coat for me that was too "good" to wear.  Seriously, I can't recall it ever coming off the hanger.

To this day I own things I won't use.  They're museum pieces in my life.  Better-half, who is also a Libran, gave me a pair of opal earrings that are amazingly beautiful and expensive.  Clearly, they're too good to wear.  When we started dating he bought me diamond earrings and a diamond heart-shaped pendant.  Too good to wear.

Yes, there is the fear of losing or damaging these items.  But to squirrel them away and never wear them is peculiar.

Same with clothes and shoes.  How about saved fragrances?  It's too good to wear and someday there will be a reason to pull it out -- that special day that never comes -- and we'll dab a little on ourselves and discover that it has turned after sitting on a shelf for twenty years.

I'm still saving items for a life I don't have and, at this point, won't be having any time soon.

I've been trying to address this issue.  I'm forcing myself to actually wear all the pairs of Alegrias I've purchased over the years.  I'd planned to wear a pair of bronze leather clogs yesterday and had set the box aside so I could easily grab them in the morning.  I opened the box and the shoes inside were not the bronze clogs.  This was a pair of bronze Pescas.  I think I forgot I had these.

I wore them.

Now I just have to start using all the mugs that are too good to use.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom@just bee,  oh yes saving the good stuff.  I try very hard to no longer do this.  Either I no longer want to use the products or have moved on or the clothing or whatever is outdated or doesn’t fit. So everything I have is fair game.  I bought some pricy skincare and threw it all into rotation.   Usually I put it to the side until I have finished others and normally get to it when it is not as fresh, if at all.  Nope, everything went into use.  I do try and conserve it a bit though. I tend to use too much so I am trying to be more mindful how I use the products and not be wasteful.  Will I repurchase them, not sure, but if I use and enjoy them while I have them and if they help my skin through winter, they will have been a good purchase.  

One thing I am loving is Kate Somerville’s glycolic cleanser.  It came in a kit I purchased.  It doesn’t dry me out, yet anyway, and it is really helping with my acne.  I am hoping to get my skin under control.  I haven’t tried other glycolic cleansers so have nothing to compare this against but so far so good. 

@geezerette, I need to try your trick with the oil cleansing and wipe.  I use the wipes but I feel the ones I am using leave my skin tight or something.  I need to use up some oils before I toss them, if they haven’t turned already, and this might be a good way of doing it and leaving my skin a bit moisturized.  Thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

And then there's saving the bad stuff.

Dermstore no longer stocks Lumene CC cream so that means it's gone for good (unless I want to buy it on Amazon).

I scored two tubes before it disappeared and they expire in January 2019.  That's only a year from now.

I still have an opened tube that expires this month.

If I hang on to the old tube the new tubes will expire before I can use them.

So annoying.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

And then there's saving the bad stuff.

Dermstore no longer stocks Lumene CC cream so that means it's gone for good (unless I want to buy it on Amazon).

I scored two tubes before it disappeared and they expire in January 2019.  That's only a year from now.

I still have an opened tube that expires this month.

If I hang on to the old tube the new tubes will expire before I can use them.

So annoying.

Yup, that’s the problem, @just bee.  The rest of our stuff is aging. That’s why I put my new stuff in rotation right away.  I will deal with the aging products as I go along and do the best I can.  As much as I don’t like to layer on products on my face, right now I am doing just that.  Otherwise, I will never get through anything.   And in the spirit of using things up, I mix in some facial serums with my body moisturizers.  There is no way I will get through them all otherwise. 

It is so easy to get in the same situation regardless how careful we are sometimes.  They discontinue our favorite products so we stock up, our skin changes so we are off looking into new products to address the issues,  we find a product we love and want to stock up during a sale,  we want to stock up because they change formulations all the time on hg items.....   One thing I wished I stocked up on is Amazing Grace.  To this day I miss that fragrance.  I wish Christina would start another line, she had these fragrances down.   Another item is Skinns 24preservation cream.  That was my hg in the winter.  These days nothing is permanent. 

One by one....