Honored Contributor

Re: Applying perfume, cologne etc.

That's so you use more...............(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I started breaking out from many perfumes years ago.  Now, I don't know what perfume will cause me a reaction and I don't want to be without fragrance, so I will spray over the top of my hair.  Then, I will do a light spritz down my front of my blouse and do the same on the back.  I wish I could srpray on my skin but I just can't risk getting a reaction.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I spray on my wrists and then above my head so a bit falls on my hair.  I apply a bit behind the ears too. Sometimes I spray in the crook of my elbows and on my upper torso.  I didn't know about behind the knees - will have to try that sometime.

Esteemed Contributor

I read/heard somewhere years ago to always apply fragrance to the backs of your knees.  That spot is a big pulse point.  The fragrance lingers all day and 'goes up' into the air where it's less offensive to those who may be allergic. 

When I do wear fragrance, I apply it on the backs of my knees rather than higher up.  But I've kind of quit wearing colognes and perfumes these days.  Instead, I slather on a scented body lotion every morning after my shower and my skin has a very light fragrance all day.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I spray it around the back of my neck but not on sides or front, perfume is heavy on the alcohol content, if you spray it on the neck it may be very drying to the skin.

Respected Contributor

I like applying on my inner wrists or other pulse points.  I'm always worried though about the chemicals seeping into my skin; can't be healthy. 

I prefer spraying on my clothes, but I've ruined a few blouses as it sometimes stains. 

Honored Contributor

Marilyn Miglin says to spray into the air, then walk thru it.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Marilyn Miglin says to spray into the air, then walk thru it.

I tried that and it got in my (closed) eyes.  Don't know how I messed that one up.  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

I read/heard somewhere years ago to always apply fragrance to the backs of your knees.  That spot is a big pulse point.  The fragrance lingers all day and 'goes up' into the air where it's less offensive to those who may be allergic. 

When I do wear fragrance, I apply it on the backs of my knees rather than higher up.  But I've kind of quit wearing colognes and perfumes these days.  Instead, I slather on a scented body lotion every morning after my shower and my skin has a very light fragrance all day.

@tototwo, you're right, scent rises.  I learned from a perfumer to apply to the inner part of my ankles and the backs of my knees.  I dab a little on my wrists and behind my ears.  I get compliments on my scent all the time, even after I think it has faded someone will say you smell so good.