Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Following the Latest Lashgate Scandal?

[ Edited ]

@BiggsE wrote:

@cjm61 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch I don't follow influencers. However, from what you have stated, I don't feel a soft spot for her. If she lied, and many do, they need to be held accountable. Many people follow these influencers and rely on accuracy. How many purchased the Loreal item only to find out that it doesn't work the way demonstrated by Mikayla. Not cool. 

@cjm61, I don't follow any youtubers either.  I agree with you that the deception is despicable.  I don't follow anyone on social media platforms.  I only have one facebook.  That's enough for me.

I follow Ali Andreea. She is the real deal. Her holiday videos in Paris every year, where she is shopping are simply beautiful. A lot of her suggestions work! 

After a small stroke I messaged her on techniques for applying eyeliner. I was left with a slight tremor and she solved my problem. Lovely lady through and through. She even diagrammed it for me @BiggsE .

Respected Contributor

I don't know that all influencers lie.  Some influencers don't do sponsored videos so they can be free with their opinions.  This wasn't just an embellishment, it was an out and out lie.  When she was called out on it, she doubled down by denying the obvious line.  Jen Luv showed a side by side of her lashes with just the mascara and then with the falsies.  It's obvious her lashes aren't just fuller, there's more of them.  If I made my living as an influencer and didn't pull stunts like this, I'd absolutely call it out too.     

I don't care for this influencer at all and even less after this.  I can curse the wallpaper off the wall, but I can also discuss lipstick and foundation without a barrage of f-bombs.  While I might have been interested in this mascara, I'm over it.  I think Loreal allowed this to happend.  

Honestly, I've seen other influencers use this mascara.  It seems pretty good on its own.  I don't think the false lashes stunt was necessary.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm , just because I don't follow beauty YouTubers or any YouTubers for that matter is not because I have a distaste for YouTube or anything against any particular YouTube Influencer. I'm not particularly interested in being influenced.  But, really, makeup/skincare is not enough of an interest to me to spend a lot of my time watching vidoes to be influenced to buy more than I already do.  I enjoy makeup, but I really only wear it once a week and I don't have that much time to play with it then.

I mostly use YouTube as an information gathering product.  I went down many a YT rabbit hole when I was building my greenhouse.  I often reference YT for gardening projects from how to amend and re-use my container soil to growing different things.  I think I have only tried following one gardening YouTuber, but I don't know what good that even does since I don't get any notices when he posts new content.  

I often watch YouTube vidoes about a particular product before I buy especially if it's pricey and I'm comparing products.  I also consult YT on how to do some sewing techniques although I was disappointed that every YT video I could find incorrectly showed sewing around a zipper for inserting a zipper.  I already knew you don't do it that way and why, and it makes more of a difference with all the stretchy fabrics in use these days.  

I also check out YouTube for help when I get in a bread-making mode or want to see how to use a new appliance.  

I have watched a few Hot & Flashy videos. In fact I happened to watch one the other day that popped in the side list when I was looking for something else.  It was about her experience going off of HRT.  I'm currently tapering off of HRT and wanted to see her experience. She went back on it, but I won't be able to.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Never heard of her and I don't follow YouTubers, but I have yet to see a mascara commercial where I believe the models are only in their own lashes and the advertised mascara.  

Well, then you must be unfamiliar with Latisse and all the drugs for eye pressure that gives you such long lashes you look like you are wearing false lashes 24/7. I have hypertensive eye disease and the side effect of my med is dark, long lashes. 

My lashes touch my eyebrows and mascara just darkens them. Photographed they would look like I am wearing false lashes. My ophthalmologist  told me men on Latisse like drugs come into her office complaining  about the meds.😄

@Trinity11 I'm well aware of Latisse.  I have used many iteradtions of lash growth serums including generic latisse, and none of them give me the lashes the models in mascara commercials have.  The best for me was RapidLash before they removed the prostaglandin in it, but it only gave me longer lashes, not more lashes.  The models in mascara commercials all have thick feathery lashes, something I rarely see in real lashes.  

I wasn't suggesting you should try it @Icegoddess . Merely, stating that some YouTubers may be telling the truth. As I have had results with "thick feathery lashes". 

@Trinity11 I do still try.  Even though what I have used doesn't meet expectations, it's still better than doing nothing.  I'm glad you had good results, but I still think the models in the mascara ads are using false lashes.  I'm talking about commercial ads (the ones on TV), not YouTubers.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I think I have only tried following one gardening YouTuber, but I don't know what good that even does since I don't get any notices when he posts new content.  

If you want to be notified of a new video from the gardener you enjoy watching, click the notification bell...

Untitled-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Yes, we use YT for all those things too plus DH uses it when he needs help with mechanical things and other man things.  He use to poo-poo YT till he needed help with a mechanical issue one time and now uses it often.  He used it to help with the building of my brother's casket.

Trusted Contributor

Ever since SM became a means to pedalling products & monetizing, following anyone is not fun anymore. Its filters, lies and outright scam in some instances. Instagram now has  subscription, which is another means to scam people with information readily available on google. 

I follow fitness professionals for accountability. I noticed how quickly some of these people gain results & then I came upon their secret. Some of them use butt pads to show booty gains, fat reduction and addition were appropriate. Same goes with beauty products. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I remember you telling us this before.  She is such a sweetheart.  I was watching her a few weeks ago.  She wasn't talking during her video, just demo-ing a technique.  But, she had a song playing and I LOVED it!!!  Played it on YT Music, gave it a thumbs up and now it's in my "likes" playlist.  Shared it with my granddaughter and she responded with "DUDE, I LOVE it!" LOL  She called me "dude" Smiley Surprised

ONLY LOVE CAN HURT LIKE THIS/Paloma Faith

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 

I need your phone number.  I'm kinda thinking about removing some wallpaper Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Trinity11 

I remember you telling us this before.  She is such a sweetheart.  I was watching her a few weeks ago.  She wasn't talking during her video, just demo-ing a technique.  But, she had a song playing and I LOVED it!!!  Played it on YT Music, gave it a thumbs up and now it's in my "likes" playlist.  Shared it with my granddaughter and she responded with "DUDE, I LOVE it!" LOL  She called me "dude" Smiley Surprised

ONLY LOVE CAN HURT LIKE THIS/Paloma Faith

Have you seen her son? He is adorable and looks just like her. Her husband is her photographer and he is very attractive too. Lovely family. I love watching her apply cosmetics as she always looks so beautiful afterwards. With well over a million followers she is well loved by her audience.