Occasional Contributor

Any WEN users who had success after reaction to 613?

Hi all. I am having a reaction to WEN 613. I'm getting many small bumps, mostly along my hair line, lightly scattered on my forehead (probably while sleeping) and on my scalp, and minor break outs on my chest/back. This occurs even after scrubbing my skin directly after rinsing. I want to find an alternative in the WEN family because my hair has never looked this good! The frizz is under control and the color lasts longer between appointments, and has more shine than ever. It has truly been a joy to love my hair again.

Please let me know if you've stopped breaking out after switching from 613 to another WEN. I really want to make this work and stay a WEN girl. Your experience is much appreciated!

Super Contributor

Re: Any WEN users who had success after reaction to 613?

613 is soy based, so you might try one of the wheat based core formulas - all but POM which is also soy, or BGT which is rice based. The seasonals are also soy based. I can't use the soy based formulas either because my scalp itches but I've used the WEN wheat based formulas for over 8 years.

You didn't say what your hair type was - fine, thick, curly, oily, dry, so I can't be any more specific.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Okiebug! I had the same itching reaction when I tried Carol's Daughter Monoi shampoo and conditioner. And the duo didn't do nearly the job that 613 did.

As far as my hair type, I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It's also somewhat wavy, but not curly. Since I started bleaching it (highlights/lowlights approx. every 6 weeks) it has become very dry. In humidity it is downright unruly and frizzy. That's why I like 613 so much, it keeps that under control.

I'll look into WEN's wheat based formulas, thanks again!

Super Contributor

You're welcome, Kairbair, and welcome to the WEN forum. If your hair is dry and frizzy, you might try Fig,, which is the most moisturizing. BGT (bamboo green tea) is closest to 613 because it has the amino acids that 613 has. If 613 worked for you, BGT might be a good place to start as well. Quite a few WENners use 2 formulas - one for their scalp and one for their hair from mid-shaft to ends, not getting it on their scalp. That might work for you - keeping 613 off your scalp yet letting your hair get the benefits.

There will be lots of great information in the WEN shows in June, and also here on the forum. Hope you can join us.

Occasional Contributor

'Good stuff, Okiebug! I love the idea of keeping my 613, but waiting to apply until the 2nd cleanse, after wringing as much water as I can, then clipping strands together on top of my head so that they don't make contact with my forehead or drip too much.

I could use Fig or BGT as my first cleanse, on my scalp, and then the 613 to more deeply condition.

Brilliant! Thanks so much again for taking the time to reach out to me with solutions. And thank you for the welcome!!

Respected Contributor

I might start by looking into what ingredients are common between the CD monoi and 613. My first thought is actually menthol (but I don't know anything about the CD line). If Fig or BGT cause you problems too, you could try the WEN Kids line, which is rice-based and menthol-free. Best of luck!
Occasional Contributor

Very smart idea, thank you, WenGirl42! I didn't have itching with WEN, just CD, but it will save me time to avoid the culprits in both. I still have my CD monoi bottles, I'll take a look at their labels. I do recall being surprised by all the ingredients I couldn't pronounce! Lesson learned - just because it doesn't contain sulfates, petroleum, mineral oil, parabens or artificial colors doesn't mean it won't contain plenty of chemicals that can irritate.

Super Contributor

Karebair (sorry I misspelled your name in my first post{#emotions_dlg.blushing}), the long names of ingredients aren't always chemicals, sometimes they are the "official" name of a natural ingredient. And just because it's a natural ingredient doesn't mean people won't have a reaction to it.

Just a suggestion, if you are going to put 613 as a second cleanse, your hair still needs to be wet for the best benefit. Rather than putting it on top of your head, where it will drip onto your scalp, make sure you have another cleanser on your scalp, put the 613 half way down your hair, comb it down your back, and if you're still in the shower, clip it low at your nape, maybe even put a shower cap on while you finish your shower just to keep the drips off your back.

Let us know how it's going.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/28/2014 okiebug said:

You're welcome, Kairbair, and welcome to the WEN forum. If your hair is dry and frizzy, you might try Fig,, which is the most moisturizing. BGT (bamboo green tea) is closest to 613 because it has the amino acids that 613 has. If 613 worked for you, BGT might be a good place to start as well. Quite a few WENners use 2 formulas - one for their scalp and one for their hair from mid-shaft to ends, not getting it on their scalp. That might work for you - keeping 613 off your scalp yet letting your hair get the benefits.

There will be lots of great information in the WEN shows in June, and also here on the forum. Hope you can join us.

Welcome, Kare!

Okie gave you awesome advice. I second BGT as a replacement for 613. I use 613 weekly. My hair loves protein. Since I started using BGT, I haven't used 613 as often. The stuff is awesome! With 613, I used Fig after for moisture. BGT, I use by itself and I get slightly better results.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Occasional Contributor

I am so glad I found this forum. Thank you, HonnyBrown, Okiebug and WenGirl42! 'Excellent advice! I never thought to use a shower cap for drip control.

OK, I believe BGT would be a good course of action for me. I'll report back after a few uses. It may take a few weeks, but I saved this thread to come back to.

Thanks again, you incredible Wen Girls!