Respected Contributor

Re: Andrew FIBER product & a tip for those temped by Serious Skin Care

On 11/10/2014 Shelbelle said:

Sand, Benefiber is very easy on the body, much more so than the Mucil psyllium stuff. I use 2 teaspoons in lukewarm water mixed well, about 5 to 6 oz of water each morning. You can put in in food, coffee, etc. Been using if last 4 years. You can do this more than once a day if need be, but my gastro doc says once a day is enough. I usually buy the Equate brand from Walmart or Kirkland from Costco, much cheaper.

I will for sure give it a try. Not to dig into TMI but, do you feel it helps with regularity and allows for moving bowels each day? I know some also take stool softners to help but, I am not sure those can be taken daily or not....

Respected Contributor

I found this recipe online - Beverley-Travis natural laxative mixture:

This recipe (detailed below) was studied in a research trial that involved older people in a care home. A treatment group was compared to a non-treatment group. The conclusion of the study stated that "the Beverley-Travis natural laxative mixture, given at a dosage of 2 tablespoons twice daily, is easy to use, cost-effective, and more effective than daily prescribed laxatives at producing normal bowel movements". So, it may be worth a try.

Recipe ingredients - one cup each of: raisins; pitted prunes; figs; dates; currants; prune juice concentrate. Directions - combine contents together in grinder or blender to a thickened consistency. Store in refrigerator between uses. Dose - two tablespoons twice a day. Increase or decrease dose according to consistency and frequency of bowel movements.

I have not tried this myself but I liked that all ingredients are natural.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/constipation-in-adults-leaflet

Honored Contributor

On 11/10/2014 Sandgirl said:

Sand, Benefiber is very easy on the body, much more so than the Mucil psyllium stuff. I use 2 teaspoons in lukewarm water mixed well, about 5 to 6 oz of water each morning. You can put in in food, coffee, etc. Been using if last 4 years. You can do this more than once a day if need be, but my gastro doc says once a day is enough. I usually buy the Equate brand from Walmart or Kirkland from Costco, much cheaper.

I will for sure give it a try. Not to dig into TMI but, do you feel it helps with regularity and allows for moving bowels each day? I know some also take stool softners to help but, I am not sure those can be taken daily or not....

Sand, I also take 2 stool softeners every night. I need to use both of these treatments to keep hemorrhoids at bay, sorry if this is TMI!! Benefiber and stool softeners are both fine to take daily long term, true lax are not, but these are. I read that on the Peoples Pharmacy website. They give very good advice. I have been doing this routine for last 4 years. Also buy Equate stool softeners at Walmart, very cheap. Hope this helps, Shel

Respected Contributor

Sand, I also take 2 stool softeners every night. I need to use both of these treatments to keep hemorrhoids at bay, sorry if this is TMI!! Benefiber and stool softeners are both fine to take daily long term, true lax are not, but these are. I read that on the Peoples Choice Pharmacy website. They give very good advice. I have been doing this routine for last 4 years. Also buy Equate stool softeners at Walmart, very cheap. Hope this helps, Shel

Not TMI, I appreciate it. I mean we all do it each day right? Well maybe once or twice a week if you are like me! I did not know that about the stool softeners and they help me!! I just didn't know I could take them daily. I am going to pick up Benefiber tomorrow and I already have stool softners.

Do you take the softners at night before bed or just in the morning with your benefiber?

Honored Contributor

Sand, I also take 2 stool softeners every night. I need to use both of these treatments to keep hemorrhoids at bay, sorry if this is TMI!! Benefiber and stool softeners are both fine to take daily long term, true lax are not, but these are. I read that on the Peoples Pharmacy website. They give very good advice. I have been doing this routine for last 4 years. Also buy Equate stool softeners at Walmart, very cheap. Hope this helps, Shel

Not TMI, I appreciate it. I mean we all do it each day right? Well maybe once or twice a week if you are like me! I did not know that about the stool softeners and they help me!! I just didn't know I could take them daily. I am going to pick up Benefiber tomorrow and I already have stool softners.

Do you take the softners at night before bed or just in the morning with your benefiber?

I take the Benefiber first thing in morning, and the stool softeners before bed. If you feel you need a little extra help some nights you can take 3 stool softeners, as well as just one on nights when you think you dont need much help, you know it depends on what occurred during that day!!!

Honored Contributor

BTW, it is Peoples Pharmacy website, not Peoples Choice, sorry.

Respected Contributor

I take the Benefiber first thing in morning, and the stool softeners before bed. If you feel you need a little extra help some nights you can take 3 stool softeners, as well as just one on nights when you think you dont need much help, you know it depends on what occurred during that day!!!

Okie Dokey, thinking I might take 3 tonight, its been 4 days, I am feeling pretty backed up and icky. This is great info. and I appreciate all your help, like always, you are amazing & a world of help here on these boards, I love my little Q family! Smiley Happy

Contributor

If you have a vitamix..use it. I make fruit and veggies shakes all the time and it gets things moving... Magnesium can help start of slowly..most of us are deficient in this. at urally
Honored Contributor

Okie Dokey, thinking I might take 3 tonight, its been 4 days, I am feeling pretty backed up and icky. This is great info. and I appreciate all your help, like always, you are amazing & a world of help here on these boards, I love my little Q family! Smiley Happy

Sand, appreciative people like you make the time we spend here worthwhile. 4 days is a long time, you may need more help than 3 stool softeners this time, good luck.

Respected Contributor

If you like spicy food, red pepper (either ground or flaked) works like a charm for me. I do eat quite a bit of fiber, vegies, and yogurt, but if I don't sprinkle my salad (or whatever) with red pepper, nothing will happen the next morning. When I do, I can count on a trip to the restroom either during or right after my light breakfast!

Laura loves cats!