Frequent Contributor

Advice on hair straightener please

I have thick, coarse, frizzy, wavy, kinky, straight in some places hair past my waist.  As it's gotten longer and I've got older I don't use any styling tools on it, it's dry and since I no longer work or do anything to sweat or get dirty I only wash it once a week.  I never blow dry it as it would take forever and it'll just make it all the more poofy or big.  On rare occasions a few years ago I used a big barrel curling iron basically to smooth it out without flattening it.  I've never used a flat iron as I feared it'd make it too flat and the heat would damage it too much.  

Watched the presentation for the Dafni ceramic brush and bought it.  I was amazed at how quickly, easily, and painlessly I was able to straighten my hair.  When I used the curling iron my arms cramped from holding it so long and had no problem with the Dafni in that regard.  My problems with the Dafni are:  it made my hair very flat,  it gets very hot, my hair was extremely hot to the touch after quickly passing over it, but main issue was I literally saw smoke coming off my hair as I quickly passed brush through each section!  I did not do it slowly and did not go over it a second time, so I'm concerned it will fry my problematic but healthy hair!  When I was using it the light went off which according to directions it will turn off after 15 or ? minutes of inactivity and it went off while I was using it, don't know if that was a sign it's defective or what. Then when I was almost done it started beeping constantly, which according to pamphlet means "failure mode control system error" and to return it immediately.  QVC has such great customer service I'm sure they'll refund me even though it's past 30 days. I don't think I want another.  It's so easy to use but with the smoke coming off my hair, hair being so hot to the touch after, and it being so flat I don't think it's for me.  I liked how my hair looked straight outside of being flat and would like to find an easy to use straightener, that has temperature control, that doesn't fry or flatten your hair.  Does a styling tool like that even exist??  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance! 

If you have the Dafni and want a laugh I recommend reading the little pamphlet that comes with it.  One of the directions: do not use while sleeping. 😀

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on hair straightener please

I tried one of those and didn't like it, sent it back.

I got this Revlon thing 

One-Step Hair Dryer and Styler  

which I like 

have you ever thought about getting it straightened? it so much easier to take care of, and requires a fraction of the styling time.

I get a straightenting product that last about 6 months and just grows out, (nothing like a keratin or the japanese process)  

Respected Contributor

I bought a knock off of the Dafni on Amazon for $25, and it works great.  Maybe you had the temperature up too high?  I set mine at the lowest temperature (on dry hair) and it worked great.......no smoke.  My hair is not thick, but it is long, lightened and straight, but tends to get dry and frizzy.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

"I liked how my hair looked straight outside of being flat and would like to find an easy to use straightener, that has temperature control, that doesn't fry or flatten your hair. Does a styling tool like that even exist??  Does anyone have any suggestions?"

I don't think you can iron that much hair straight without making it flat.If you use a flat iron with a rounded back side, you can give it some body and bend at the crown, but the longer and heavier the hair is, the more it's fighting gravity and the faster it will pull flat again. 

There are hot tools with temperature controls that won't fry your hair, but you will still run into the flat issue.

Respected Contributor

Why don't you try Suzanne Somers Organic Hair Activating Serum?  It is supposed to give you the same results as a Brazillian blowout - but it  is all organic - it has a 5 star rating on Evine.  Read the reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@judEve

I have my hair "smoothed" every 3 months using a product by Pravana.  There are other brands, but Pravana works best on me.

The whole thing beginning to end takes a couple of hours and that includes waiting time.  It does not have formaldehyde and does not harm my hair.  I get color the same day.

I have naturally curly hair and nothing -- NOTHING -- no product, no appliance has worked as well as this.

After smoothing, I can wash my hair, use my spin brush and have it straight and silky.   I'm not sure I could manage hair as long as yours, but mine is to my shoulders.

Love it.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman- Is your Pravana smoothing something you do at home or have done at a salon?

@judEve- When I or my stylist used to blow dry my hair straight using the round brush and hand-held blow dryer technique, my hair would not be smoothly straight unless there was steam coming out of the hair shaft.

I believe that is what is happening with the straightening tool you are using; it's not smoke, it's excess moisture steam.

Mostly I keep my hair curly now but I bought the Simply Straight brush when I want a change. It works pretty well but I see no steam when I use it.

There is another post on these boards about a waving iron that you might want to check out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sandraskates

I have it done at a salon.

I do believe you could do it at home if you were adept at doing your own hair (I've thought about it), but my stylist gives a very reasonable price.

There are YouTube videos on it.  Type in Pravana Perfection Smoothing and you will be able to see how they do it. 

Perhaps the first time you could go to a stylist.  It's not all that difficult, but I would rather let my stylist deal with itCat LOL

Super Contributor

I have naturally curly hair and for years had it straightened. What worked best for me and lasted the longest was a reverse perm. It's like getting a perm, but they don't do the part in the process that activates the curl. My hair looked great!  I tried a Keratin straightening at Ulta once and it did not work as well as the reverse perm and it cost a lot more money.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much @Witchy Woman!

I've been contemplating a change I will check it out, starting with the YouTube videos.