Honored Contributor

Re: HOw much personal info is a employer entitled to?

I don't see any red flags of illegality, but I also see nothing particularly related to a sales job. 

One of the best things I finally learned when I was working was that asking questions relieves all kinds of aggravation, so I'd just ask to know the purpose of the form.  Seems to save all kinds of wasted emotinal energy.

Esteemed Contributor

Asking about your family is just wrong. I think those types of questions are not legal, but I'm not exactly sure about the details. It's clearly a very, very bad business practice to ask about family. Some folks are not comfortable sharing their "sectsual" orientation and let's be honest....many  people discriminate against single people who choose to have kids without a spouse or even folks who choose not to have kids. I do not allow any "pro-family" talk in my corporation. It's very inappropriate.

Contributor

Casually asking "What is this for?" would have given you your answer immediately, saving you from being upset by this. I find that it is always best to be politely direct in the workplace.  I am in upper management, and I would always rather have any employee just ask me a question if they are concerned about something than to speculate and be unhappy or upset.  I also find that my superiors appreciate that.  Often, we read something into a situation that doesn't match the reality, and when we find out the true intent, it can relieve any concern.  If we still feel concerned, then it can be addressed immediately.

It does sound like a "getting to know you" activity. If you are too uncomfortable to ask directly what the questionnaire is for, then answer  the questions as vaguely as you wish, and skip over anything you just don't feel comfortable sharing.  (For date of birth, you can just provide mm/dd.)  Many supervisors, either on their own, or as part of company directed leadership initiative, are using things such as this questionnaire to get to know their employees better, and make the workplace more personal.  Some employees love it, others feel as if it is too personal. 

Please just ask them about it, and if you still feel concerned after, express your feelings to them.  It will make you feel better, and they will better know how you wish to be approached in the future.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to maintain your privacy, if that is what you are most comfortable with.

Esteemed Contributor

Since optional means not required, do not complete the form if you are uncomfortable.  Personally, I would fill in what I would consider non-intrusive, especially if I was a new employee. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I never heard of such a thing.  Snack food?  I do know it is and has been for many, many years; illegal to ask:  age, marital status, if the applicant has children and a couple of other personal matters.  It's probably not illegal to ask about snacks and hobbies.  Why does it matter if it's legal anyway?   If you are uncomfortable with any of those questions.....just don't answer.  Leave it blank and move on.  

Honored Contributor

@upNorth wrote:

Casually asking "What is this for?" would have given you your answer immediately, saving you from being upset by this. I find that it is always best to be politely direct in the workplace.  I am in upper management, and I would always rather have any employee just ask me a question if they are concerned about something than to speculate and be unhappy or upset.  I also find that my superiors appreciate that.  Often, we read something into a situation that doesn't match the reality, and when we find out the true intent, it can relieve any concern.  If we still feel concerned, then it can be addressed immediately.

It does sound like a "getting to know you" activity. If you are too uncomfortable to ask directly what the questionnaire is for, then answer  the questions as vaguely as you wish, and skip over anything you just don't feel comfortable sharing.  (For date of birth, you can just provide mm/dd.)  Many supervisors, either on their own, or as part of company directed leadership initiative, are using things such as this questionnaire to get to know their employees better, and make the workplace more personal.  Some employees love it, others feel as if it is too personal. 

Please just ask them about it, and if you still feel concerned after, express your feelings to them.  It will make you feel better, and they will better know how you wish to be approached in the future.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to maintain your privacy, if that is what you are most comfortable with.

My daughter is in management and through normal conversation will find some way to connect with her team members to show them she does care.

She has said that they appreciate it and will perform at a higher level for her.  She says the managers that don't ask or don't care won't get the same level of respect.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@upNorth wrote:

My daughter is in management and through normal conversation will find some way to connect with her team members to show them she does care.

She has said that they appreciate it and will perform at a higher level for her.  She says the managers that don't ask or don't care won't get the same level of respect.

Maybe this yet another one of those regional things.  I've been in management for long time now and never in a million years would we ever...EVER....ask such intrusive and personal questions.  First, a couple of those questions are indeed illegal to ask.  Second, this is workplace and management makes workplace decisions that many some employees are not happy with.  If a manger has all that personal and private information at their finger tips, it makes it easy for a worker to claim bias or descrimination.  No HR office in any company would ever allow such practice.  If it's done, a supervisor who is fairly low on the food chain is doing it and doesn't understand the risks to the company.  Yes, team building is important but you don't do it by asking personal questions that will make most people uncomfortable.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It was OPTIONAL - you found it intrusive - don't fill it out.

In her OP she says she was NOT told it was optional.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

AS I said in my OP I was NOT told this was optional.  MY supervisor has already asked me when I will complete it as she "needs" it back.

THe form states on it. "To be retained in personnel file". 

I am considering filling it out with completely made up answers.  LIke for hobbies I could list sky diving or mountain climbing and favorite beverage could be bourbon.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't answer it......Just say that you are uncomfortable with answering it.....I don't think some of these questions are any of their business...

clothing sizes? my hubby doesn't know what size I wear!