Honored Contributor

Re: HOw much personal info is a employer entitled to?

@Carmie wrote:

I'd ask what the form was for before I filled it out and returned it.

For those who think it is okay to ask when a birthday is or your preferences because they could get you a gift for a holiday, it is not!

There are people who for religious purposes do not celebrate birthdays or holidays.  I have worked with people who would get very upset when they were even asked to participate or casually drop in for a quick bite from the holiday buffet.

It is not okay to ask a person's religion either, so I am sure they would not want to be put on the spot to have to tell you that they are Jehovah Witnesses, for example and do not wish to participate in celebrations.

Some people don't want it posted on the "birthday month board" for all the co-workers to see the date.

Honored Contributor

Re: HOw much personal info is a employer entitled to?

@Carmie wrote:

I'd ask what the form was for before I filled it out and returned it.

For those who think it is okay to ask when a birthday is or your preferences because they could get you a gift for a holiday, it is not!

There are people who for religious purposes do not celebrate birthdays or holidays.  I have worked with people who would get very upset when they were even asked to participate or casually drop in for a quick bite from the holiday buffet.

It is not okay to ask a person's religion either, so I am sure they would not want to be put on the spot to have to tell you that they are Jehovah Witnesses, for example and do not wish to participate in celebrations.

@Carmie

Seriously?   Just what was so upsetting about being invited to participate?  

They should have been taught to say "no thank you" without getting all freaked out over a kindness extended.   JMO, but people do have to learn to get along with others.