Contributor

Facebook debacle...

[ Edited ]

There are several ppl on my FB friends list, whom I'd like to unfriend.

I am a very private person. I don't post a ton of pictures or personal stories on my FB page, but on occasion, I do.

I have many relatives on my friends list. I would never delete any of my relatives, even the ones whom I never hear from. 

Here are my options:

1. Just unfriend them and have them wonder if I'm angry or some awkward such...

2. Keep them on and just deal..

3. Post a comment to just those ppl, (this can be done in settings) explaining that I will be going through my friends' list and that if they are unfriended by me, to please understand.

Can y'all help?

Respected Contributor

Just unfriend them. They aren't notified what you did, they just will not see anything you post anymore and vice versa. These people don't mean anything to you, so who cares what they think if somehow they find out.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Contributor

I think my main fear is that (since they are gossipers) they will spread it around my street..."oh, 'SHE' unfriended me..." Or, that somehow my kids would suffer in the 'street' dynamics. Maybe I am worrying too much. But, these are NEIGHBORS, not ppl I'd be real friends with! 

KWIM? 

Respected Contributor

Do you really think kids care or pay attention to whom their parents Facebook with? As to you other concern..........you can't be a victim without your consent.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Contributor

I had a similar situation!  One day, I just went in and started unfriending. I only kept people who meant something to me. I ended up deleting nearly 100 'friends' over the span of a few days. 

I understand the hesitation but once I started, it actually felt so freeing - I was in charge! No one ever said a thing, even my self-absorbed niece who wished other family members Happy Birthday, congrats, etc. all the time but always ignored me. 

Most people only care about themselves so they likely won't notice.  But, if you really feel you'll need an explanation some day - just say you decided to keep FB for family only.

Do it!

Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Do you really think kids care or pay attention to whom their parents Facebook with? As to you other concern..........you can't be a victim without your consent.

You misunderstood what I meant. Thanks for your post. 

Contributor

@ForumOlivia wrote:

I had a similar situation!  One day, I just went in and started unfriending. I only kept people who meant something to me. I ended up deleting nearly 100 'friends' over the span of a few days. 

I understand the hesitation but once I started, it actually felt so freeing - I was in charge! No one ever said a thing, even my self-absorbed niece who wished other family members Happy Birthday, congrats, etc. all the time but always ignored me. 

Most people only care about themselves so they likely won't notice.  But, if you really feel you'll need an explanation some day - just say you decided to keep FB for family only.

Do it!

So sweet. I deleted a few just a few minutes ago. A few others, who I am still struggling with deleting...I made sure that they were listed as RESTRICTED friends. Meaning that they can only see what I allow the public to see on my page. NOT MUCH!! LOL. 

Thank you, ForumOlivia, you 'get it'. Smiley Tongue

Contributor

Good for you!  I do indeed get it Smiley Happy

Now go enjoy this beautiful day!!

Honored Contributor

I don't do Facebook; have just never had an interest.  I think its a very good tool for helping family and friends stay in touch, but many times it is a wide open stage for drama.  Some of my husband's idiot relatives created a lot of ugly drama on Facebook when one of their older relatives died, which resulted in the loss of their account.   It was the best thing that could've happened to them, as you can't fix stupid.   

Respected Contributor

@majaca wrote:

I think my main fear is that (since they are gossipers) they will spread it around my street..."oh, 'SHE' unfriended me..." Or, that somehow my kids would suffer in the 'street' dynamics. Maybe I am worrying too much. But, these are NEIGHBORS, not ppl I'd be real friends with! 

KWIM? 

Good grief, Majaca.  Do you live in Peyton Place?  Man Tongue

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York