Honored Contributor

I don't think Facebook is for private or humble people. It seems like one big brag fest from what I hear from people who have been on it. Greatest kids, grandkids, spouse, family, upgrading home, buying new vehicle, trips to the best places, smartest and most successful kids, and on and on. I think real friends share and stay in touch without Facebook.

Super Contributor

I'm unfriended a lot and don't notice or care really. Sometimes I will think I haven't heard from someone and that's why. 

Super Contributor

I'm unfriended because I like a gay singer and fanatics from high school can't take it. Oh well. 

Respected Contributor

i'm not to crazy about facebook myself.  i have friends and i have no clue who they are.  i don't post anything personal so that's ok.  i friended them so it's my fault, but i thought ok, i must know who they are.  nope!!

i also have religious fanatics and political nuts so i blocked them.  i don't care to see that stuff.

Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain majaca. I also have a ton of ppl I have blocked. We are very similar in alot of ways. I really liked FB at 1st but now, I cannot handle all the negativity,drama,etc. I keep my page to keep up w/my daughter at college & several other long-time friends. I don't post either. I have filled my pg w/nothing but things I like.(QVC ppl,my dog,my kids etc) For every person I block, I follow something positive.

When you go on to block ppl, instead of blocking, it will ask you to just hide their posts so you don't see them. Thats what I do. You don't see their posts & I believe they don't see your? Or you could just create a new 1. And then send all the ppl you like a new friend request & explain what your doing. I've had friends do that. (I asked them cause I thought maybe someone was creating a fake account in their name)

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I don't think Facebook is for private or humble people. It seems like one big brag fest from what I hear from people who have been on it. Greatest kids, grandkids, spouse, family, upgrading home, buying new vehicle, trips to the best places, smartest and most successful kids, and on and on. I think real friends share and stay in touch without Facebook.

I think Facebook is junior high school all over again.  For adults who value their privacy I'd say stay away from Facebook.

Super Contributor

Lol Sooner, it's funny too what people brag about. This morning I actually had a post bragging that his teenager was a being a good dad to his girlfriend's baby that she just had.  Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

OP, I certainly "get it" - but you've had good advice here and you've 'done the deed' 😉

None of them will ever be notified that they've been unfriended. If they ever notice (there is a way for them to check, if they want to, but it involves a little effort), I'd say you were right and they *were* being nosy. No loss. And as someone else suggested, if they are bold enough to ask, just say you've decided it's family only. Enjoy your new FB!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

I'm unfriended because I like a gay singer and fanatics from high school can't take it. Oh well. 

I was unfriended because I'm not "big enough".     Still not sure what that meant....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook debacle...

[ Edited ]

I wanted to mention:  even though it might appear that people are ignoring Facebook posts, the problem quite often is that the weird algorithms used on the site cause some of us not to even see certain friends' posts unless we make a special effort to go to their Timeline and read there. 

Yes, there are lots of options to try and make their posts show up for us (such as designating "close friends or acquaintances," liking/responding to more of their posts, using the "See First" option, etc.), but even using those we don't have the control we once had over our News Feed.

So, as I said, while it might appear they're ignoring us...  in truth, some of them never actually see our posts.

I'll add that Facebook is nothing more than a complex social-media tool, and I still think we can choose to make it relatively private (be aware of all settings, don't add personal info to your account -- no address, phone number, personal photos, etc.; no geotagging/location services identification; only "friend" people you actually know; etc.), useful and enjoyable.

@majaca, I'm sorry you and others have had problems.  I know it can be beyond frustrating.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova