Honored Contributor

In a post on another forum, Sooner used a saying "worn slick", and I asked her the origin and where she'd heard it. I love old sayings, especially if they are used more regionally.

Do you have an old saying that was used in your family or region that perhaps isn't know throughout the nation? Would you care to share?

I'll start it with this. I have a friend who's mother was raised in the hills of Virginia. My friend grew up here in Ohio, where her parents moved when they were married in the early 1950's. When they would go across town (all of a 7 to 10 minute trip) and get groceries, they never purchased their milk at the "big store". Her mom would stop off at the little convenience store just around the corner from their house to pick up her milk there.

She said it was because she was afraid "the milk would blink". I thought that was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. What she meant was that in that long drive home (yes a whole 10 minutes) that the milk would get warm and sour. Now whenever we go shopping, I'm sure to take along my insulated bags, because it is about 20 minutes between the store and the house, and milk is much too expensive these days to let it "blink"!

Please share your favorite old and regional sayings!

Honored Contributor

Re: Share a favorite saying!

You make your own happiness.

My grandmother used the term ""pert'neer"" to mean ""almost"".

Valued Contributor

MY ALL time favorite....

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Eleanor Roosevelt,

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

On 4/22/2014 EMTHeart13 said:

MY ALL time favorite....

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Eleanor Roosevelt,

I love this quote. And, it's great seeing you back after your Lenten break.

Valued Contributor

(((Lulu)))

Thank you. it's GREAT to be back.

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time - you may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be.

Map out your future - but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.

Passion + Persistence = Possibilities

Miracles happen everyday, change your perception of what a miracle is and you'll see them all around you.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them." Maya Angelou

I'll forgive you for asking, if you forgive me for not answering.

"Jersey girls have that inner glow that makes them more beautiful than any other girl."

Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral. Amen!!

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

No matter WHERE you go, THERE you are.

Respected Contributor

"I haven't seen ___ in a coon's age." Meaning a raccoon's age, which I guess must mean they live a long time.

Honored Contributor

what the heck

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

It's not a favorite saying, but not too long ago it came back to me, from a book I'd read years ago. "Maybe yes, maybe no". Kind of like (excuse the spelling) que sa rah sa rah. (Whatever will be, will be).

The other one is: It's not the destination, it's the journey. Boy is that the truth!!