Honored Contributor

Please help this computer idiot. Adobe flash vs QVC

I am at my wits end, and had a couple people help, but nothing has worked.

The Facts as I know them:

New Toshiba laptop, 8GB ram,i5,

came with windows 8.1 installed

I use internet explorer as my browser

I have all current updates

I have the latest Abobe flash player installed, and updated

i have the all components of adobe enabled

shockwave enabled, per adobe instructions

active X disabled (and I have tried disabling it), per adobe instructions

Problem

I cannot access video on QVC , Nordstrom message reads "you need latest version of Adobe flash player to view this video"

OKAY, .....it is installed, it is enabled, all programs are installed and updated, and enabled. why oh why are these sites saying I am not enabled and do not have Abobe flash player? I went to Adobe site, did a trouble shoot. and adobe says the program is installed but it says it is disabled.

I am at wits end. Is QVC broken? what am I doing wrong.

Thank you so much

Regular Contributor

Re: Please help this computer idiot. Adobe flash vs QVC

Your javascript is probably disabled , not probably, IS.
Honored Contributor

On 7/5/2014 WIlliam Joseph said: Your javascript is probably disabled , not probably, IS.

How do I find that on windows 8? How do I get it? Sounds stupid, but I am not kidding, I am only 3 days on windows 8.1, and I am not indoctrinated yet. But I think that might be it! Now where to find Java

Thank you so much

Honored Contributor

I have same issue when using Explorer 11. I have 8.1, too. Make sure you get latest 8.1 update. I had to add Google Chrome as a Browser. I think I get the videos when I access the Q on Google Chrome, but it could be the opposite--I can get videos on Explorer and not Chrome. I have latest Adobe version. I have all the latest Microsoft updates. I have updated all HP and McCaffee. Try downloading Google Chrome Browser in addition to Explorer 11. Keep your Explorer as your default, but enter the Nordstom site via google browser and see what happens. Additionally, if your computer is brand new, Toshiba might help you with this and help you set up getting Toshiba's updates.

Super Contributor

Shoe kitty, I have posted here multiple times for many people that if you have Windows 8 or 8.1 and you use Internet Explorer as your web browser, you MUST use the Internet Explorer that is on the regular desktop. You may not use the IE browser that you launch from the pretty multi-colored tile area formerly known as Metro. On the Metro tiled area, Internet Explorer deliberately has Adobe Flash, Sun Java and all other plug-ins disabled on purpose as a security measure. Now, if you are not using the IE browser found in the Metro tiled area, but are indeed using the Ie found on the regular Windows desktop, then you need to make sure that you have all your Windows updates installed and have rebooted after doing so. Internet Explorer in Windows 8 and 8.1 updates Adobe Flash only through Windows Updates. As far as whether Adobe Flash is used to show QVC videos and video tabs....I no longer know if that is what they use. Many web sites are switching to HTML5, and Internet Explorer is not the most compatible browser for HTML5. In that case, you would need to use Chrome or Firefox. Also, as someone mentioned, make sure your Java is up to date. You have to do that yourself, either by checking it in the Control Panel or your browser's extensions area, or by the plug-in itself telling you it needs to be updated and you allowing it to do so. Lastly, many of the browsers are going to a model where Adobe Flash and Sun Java are disabled for all web pages by default. You have to allow these permissions for each web site manually. Each browser handles this differently, but the quickest way to do it is to click on the website's name or little globe symbol up to the left of the web address in the web address bar (while you are on the web site in question). From there, keep clicking on things until you stumble over where to allow Adobe Flash and Java for the site. Close the browser. Then restart the browser. Good luck!
Honored Contributor

I'd agree to check your browser settings to be sure JavaScript is enabled. I'm not a fan of IE, so I'd also suggest you always have at least 2 browsers available for troubleshooting (I use Firefox, Chrome, and Safari).

By the way:

Java and JavaScript are two very different things.

Personally, I keep Java disabled because of all the major security flaws, and it's not necessary to use it for most Internet activities.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Okay, I have been obsessed with this issue for the last 7 hours. My Java script is enabled in my computer, as are all my updates. Ijust downloaded Firefox, and the video from QVC totally disappeared. There is NO video option when I am on Firefox.

I don't need the video option, I am just mad I can't get it, and want to fix it.

Thinkoutsidethebox. I do use the desktop. I refuse to use the tiles yet. This is a new computer, and I had the old windows and am barely used to windows 8, and do not like it. My computer is so sensitive and with so many boxes, tiles and stuff under all the screens, the pages switch if you breathe hard near the keys.

I think I might take the computer to an IP man to take a look. This is bugging me. A few days ago it worked.

Thank you all for your time. If there is anything else anyone can think of I am doing wrong, please let me know

Honored Contributor

I just got Firefox to show video on this site! No luck with IE, but that is okay, at least it works through firefox.

Esteemed Contributor

I use the Chrome on my Android tablets, smartphone, and computers. I like having consistent browser setting from one device to another.

Respected Contributor

On 7/6/2014 shoekitty said:

I just got Firefox to show video on this site! No luck with IE, but that is okay, at least it works through firefox.

IE is such a pain, don't use it. Sometimes it's the security settings built into IE that causes problems. You can import all of your favorites, bookmarks in Firefox, into another browser and use it instead. I personally don't like Chrome but a lot of people use it. It really is necessary to have more than one internet browser installed. You never no when one might have problems at a website.