Super Contributor

Hello all, 

is it it really true that bareminerals tests on animals now? I just bought their TSV Smiley Sad 

Honored Contributor

I believe that their parent company, Shiseido, is not cruelty-free.

Regular Contributor

Yes.

Super Contributor

Thanks! Wow I thought I could trust them to not do animal testing but I guess since they've been bought out that I should have done my research first. Oh well, last bareminerals purchase for me then. Smiley Sad 

New Contributor

Wow. I didn't know that either... I just saw this post today and purchased my TSV a few days ago. Guess it will be the last bareMinerals purchase for me as well. Such a bummer. I don't understand the need to test on animals... especially when the ingredients are touted to be so natural and good for you. Testing on animals just isn't necessary and I hope in the near future all brands realize that and understand that if the ingredients are that 'iffy' and chemical-laden, then maybe they shouldn't be putting it in jars and bottles to sell to humans to use on their bodies and contaminate our water supply, etc. 

Super Contributor

I know it is just ridiculous that in this day and age there is still animal testing happening. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is when companies want to sell their products in China they have to submit to animal testing since China will not allow products to be sold there without testing. So once a brand gets too big and expands to China then it starts animal testing if it hadn't before. So sad. Smiley Sad 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Good thing that bareminerls TSV is super sized and will last a long time! 😄

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's link to outside retailer.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I believe that their parent company, Shiseido, is not cruelty-free.

correct @geezerette

Last Updated: March 7, 2017

Bare Escentuals does not test on animals and their products aren’t sold in China. They’re therefore cruelty-free. This also includes Bare Minerals, Buxom, and MD Formulations. Reminder: They’re owned by Shiseido, so their parent-company does test on animals.

At A Glance
  • Finished products tested on animals: NO
  • Ingredients tested on animals: NO
  • Third party animal testing: NO
  • Tested on animals where required by law: NO
  • Sold in mainland China: NO
  • Certifications: PETA-approved, cruelty-free
  • Parent company: Shiseido
  • Parent company status: NOT cruelty-free

via cruelty free kitty website

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@sunshine45

Thank you for posting! I feel better that they aren't sold in China and aren't directly testing. It doesn't sit well with me about Shiseido (and thanks for telling me,  I have never and will never buy anything from their line) so I think I will use my TSV and continue to use BM but as little as I can and keep trying to find a cruelty free powder mineral foundation with SPF.