Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I take one low-dose tablet everyday, as directed by my doctor. 

I read about the study done and it mostly concerns older people, in their 70s, healthy and at no risks. The article said not to start taking aspirin if you are a healthy older person and went on to say do not stop taking it, if you are on it, before consulting with your doctor first. Starting an aspirin regime can lead to health problems, for example internal bleeding.

The study was largely funded by the NIH. This pub is dated 9/16/2018.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/news/daily-low-dose-aspirin-found-have-no-effect-healthy-life-span-older-peo...

I heard dr oz this morning on  morning shows ,he said also it does not stop a heart attack if you have not had one ,also studing if in people that have cancer,if they should not take it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: taking aspirin

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincess wrote:

DH was told by the NP to add 1 baby aspirin to his daily regimen just last week.

In a couple of months, he is going back to his regular doctor. That’s when Medicare kicks in so he will be able to confirm with him what’s been added.

Has he had a heart attack in the past?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: taking aspirin

[ Edited ]

No..,,.no meds.    I use alternative natural methods and lifestyle choices to maintain/improve my health unless it is clearly a medical emergency (i.e. fractured bone) that requires medical attention. 

Honored Contributor

DH and I take one 81 mg baby aspirin a day. We have for many years.  Not going to stop now.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My husband has taken a full strength coated aspirin every day for the last 20 years after surviving a big MI, known as The Widowmaker.    

The respected cardiologist who prescribed that regime also told my husband not to let any doctor talk him into reducing that to a baby aspirin, or discontinuing aspirin therapy.   

At this point we don't pay any attention to new findings and studies.   

@RedTop

Did your husband have a Myocardial Infarction or Cardiac Arrest, the 2 are not the same. The Cardiac Arrest is, by some, referred to, as the Widow Maker. My Cardiologist does not recognize that term as used by many.

I certainly agree that your husband is doing what right for him. Always happy to hear from others that have survived Heart Attacts(MI), and especially the small % that survive Cardiac Arrest. 

Hope all is well with your husband, and you of course.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hi @Carmie

There is this thing many do called "vehicle preventive maintenance" to keep problems from happening. Most wise vehicle owners do this on a regular basis, whether their vehicle is "doing fine", or maybe just a bit of tappet noise. Don't do it and the price may be high.

What a person chooses to do about their vehicle or their body is up to them. I, and many others choose vehicle preventative maintenance. Even though my heart does not function in the bottom portion(2 heart attacks), I still stick to what I consider "preventative maintenance". Because I too thought(and was proven by many Treadmill Stress Tests) that my heart was not only fine, but in "excellent shape", BUT!

My mother/her mother/her father/her 5 brothers(all died in their 50's) all suffered and eventually died from heart disease. I eliminated as many Major Heart Risks Factors as possible, BUT!

"To Each be Their Own".  Some get by in spite of genetics, but genetics is found in a good % of those with CAD, might think about it, Please!!!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  I understand what you are saying.  I researched taking aspirin and what I found is that is is recommended for people who have had a heat attack or cardiac problems.

There is no research that shows it prevents heart problems in healthy individuals.  If I develop a problem, I would not hesitate to take it.

My BP is usually around 110/70 and my cholesterol is usually 120-130.  My mother and all of my siblings are diabetic, have HBP and high cholesterol.

I am the only one with no health concerns (except osteo-arthritis in my knees). My father      Had no health concerns, except colon cancer...so I keep up on all cancer screenings.  I think I took after his side of the family.

I do have Celiac Disease which messes with my digestive system.  I think my father had that too, though he was never diagnosed. I control this with my diet.

Thanks for being concerned about me.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut,

My husband had an MI; it was diagnosed 5 days after the fact.    

He had seen the doctor twice, and even with 2 EKGs and his complaints, the doctor thought he pulled a chest muscle.  The doctor released him to return to work, and in hindsight, my husband had the MI while welding on a 6” ledge 100 ft in the air.  That was on Thursday and when he rechecked with the doctor on Monday, the EKG showed that he’d had a heart attack.

My husband has 30% damage to his heart from the MI.   I was VERY upset that a 47 year old diabetic with classic symptoms was misdiagnosed, and could have died.   The doctors in that practice discussed his case, and every one of them said they missed it because my husband did not complain enough for them to sense an urgency with his situation.   

Our local doctors, and the top notch cardiologist we were referred to upstate all said my husbands saving grace was his physical condition.   My husband is a redneck country boy, not afraid of hard physical labor, and that’s what saved him.   The cardiologist who treated him, uses the term Widowmaker when the infarction is in that particular area of the heart; not whether the patient arrests or simply experiences an MI.   

Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Oh John, I just love that beautiful little kitty face!   Heart

Honored Contributor

Funny you should ask about a daily low dose aspirin. I just had a check up with my doctor last week and he told me the latest medical findings is that taking a daily aspirin is no longer needed. It simply doesn't do anything. So I'm off taking at least one pill a day. Yippee. Does your doctor attend periodic seminars about the new things going on it medicine? My doctor is diligent about being up to date and always knowing the newest medical news. 

"Pure Michigan"