Honored Contributor

Several years ago DH had a cardiac arrest.  He has been on low dose aspirin since then.  They put me on the same dose last year after I had a heart attack and open heart surgery. I intend to stay on it. 

Respected Contributor

My father died of a heart attack at 52 and all of his brothers, except one who died of cancer, died of heart attacks all before the age of 56.  Heart disease does not run on my mother's side, but my sister, brother and I are all taking a low dose baby aspirin for the last several years as a preventative as prescribed by our doctors.  We don't intend to stop taking it.  

Problem with many of these studies is many times they are found to be untrue or incorrect.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Hi @Tinkrbl44

Thank you. This was our beautiful gold Ozzie. Almost 2 years ago he was doing just fine. One morning I wake up and he is just lying very still in an unusual place, for him. Went to pick him up and he hollered out in pain.

Got my wife into the room and she called our vet. We rushed him there and our Vet said he had blood clots in his lungs, as both his back feet were ice cold.

He said we could try blood thinners, but Ozzie would be in terrible pain during that treatment time, with odds of recovering close to zero. We had to let him cross The Bridge that morning, he was almost 15 years old. We adopted him from our Vet's Office when he was a kitten. We still miss him very much, and like me, he too was a "talker".     =^..^=    

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@ID2

My Cardiologist gives many seminars on the latest studies and Heart Health Updates. I see him every 6 months and he has not told me anything new, or told me to quit taking my 81mg aspirin per day.

Been over 11 years(2007) since my 2nd heart attack. Think I will stick with his advice, which is still taking my small dosage of aspirin. Everyone can make their own choice when it comes to their health regimen, hopefully with their Doctor's approval.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My husband has been having some stomach issues. He doesn't have heart trouble ,so I suggested he stop until he sees his Dr next month

Honored Contributor

Hi @cherry,

There are enteric coated 81mg aspirin available that say stomach issues may not occur when taking them. I really don't know because I have never had stomach issues, in spite of my list of 4 diagnosed issues.

If your husband is taking them per his doctor's advice, I personally would at least try the enteric aspirin. It sounds, from what you have said, this is a self diagnosis, when you say aspirin is the cause, or am I misinterpreting what you have said?

Be well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I have been taking Bayer coated aspirin (325 mg daily, ) since my heart attack back in 1988 and I don't intend to stop now.  I have faith in my Cardiologist and do what he tells me to.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  that what he has been taking. He has a hiatal hernia, so I want to makesur he doesn't get  an ulcer. 

He has never had a heart attack, or stroke, and his arteries are clean

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

that what he has been taking. He has a hiatal hernia, so I want to makesur he doesn't get  an ulcer. 

He has never had a heart attack, or stroke, and his arteries are clean

@cherry

I too have a hiatal hernia, one of my 4 diagnosed via my very first  Endoscopy. My main worry was/is Barrett's Esophagus(precursor to Esophageal Cancer). That is why I have been taking Nexium for years.

What test showed "his arteries are clean"?  Did he have a Heart Cath/Nuclear Stress Test or CT Angiography?  Those are usually the only tests I know of that can allow one to say "my arteries are clean". Just my curiosity gettin to me.   =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: taking aspirin

[ Edited ]

He had a heart cath and a MRI.and a stress test. He also has some sort of blood test to check for plaque