Valued Contributor

My husband ( 88 ) recently had a brain operation for subdural hematomas. That causes brain bleeds. The surgeon said it was successful and he is now in rehab. He has 2 areas on his left side of his head that have 5 or 6 staples in them. Anyone else familiar with this procedure. He didn't have to have a craniotomy, thank heavens.

Respected Contributor

I have no familiarity with this, but want to wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Honored Contributor

@elruth,

For your husband,

http://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-stock-photo_csp36720771.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@elruth

So glad your husband's surgery was a success without any neurological residuals.

What we have is a very gelatinous brain inside a nearly rock-solid skull.  Thing is, the brain needed to be "contained" within something to keep it safe.  So, Mother Nature developed 3 membrane layers to protect the brain and spinal cord.  These 3 layers are: dura mater, arachnoid mater and pia mater.  The dura is the outer-most of these 3 layers and is also quite tough.  I've held pieces of dura in my hands in surgical training.  Believe me: you cannot poke your finger through it, it is that tough.  However, if one experiences head trauma vessel issue, it is possible to experience a "bleed," either on top of the dura or beneath it.  If the bleed is above it, the collection of blood is called an epidural hematoma.  If below, a subdural hematoma.

Epidural hematomas are usually caused by blood vessel bleeds versus trauma.

The thing about either is that they can be life-threatening, so the blood/hematoma must be evacuated as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@elruth,

Want to wish your husband well, and you too. I have had more than 1 hematoma but the most serious was the one I had in a major artery in my groin. This happened while I was in the hospital 2 days after I had  a Heart Cath Procedure.

Doctors were not sure whether a clot was involved, so they were debating whether it was that, or an residual bleed caused internally during the procedure.They decided it was a bleed and didn't go the Heparin Thinner route. Since I am still here, the obviously made the right choice.

Was in the hospital another 8 days after this happened. Took months of me having ice bags between my legs during the day and night, but the swelling in that area finally went to normal and pretty much pain free.

Pretty serious surgery your husband had and you both have my best wishes for his recovery. Take good care of each other.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@elruth, ❤️ to you and your DH.  LM

Honored Contributor

In 2010 I fell down the stairs and landed full weight on my left cheek bone.  In addition to a concussion, I had 3 brain bleeds and a stay in the hospital.  I was supremely lucky because all three healed adequately without a neurosurgeon's help.  I don't remember much, except what DH and our two sons told me... do remember seeing them standing in a line backed up to the window of my room looking worried and horrified..... 

I pray for a speedy and complete healing for your husband and peace for you that everything will turn out very well.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*