Esteemed Contributor

There are sites where you can test various sounds, waterfalls, rain, fans...but also noise from white to brown.

I have come to know that brown is my sound.  All the others set me on edge.  Just me.

Check around to get a machine you can set different noises.

Honored Contributor

Re: sound machine

[ Edited ]

I've used one for years.  I do have tinnitus, but I started using one long before that.  I'm an extremely light sleeper.  I started out with a fan, but once I got accustomed to that I needed to run it even in winter when I didn't need a fan.  I'm on my 2nd one and I got it years ago at Sharper Image.  Can't find that exact machine or really anything like it anymore. It's also an alarm clock and a CD player all in one nice unit that folds up. It also has a battery backup so you don't lose time if the power goes out.  My only complaint would be that it only runs on an up to 60 minute cycle.  I guess the thought is that once you're asleep there's no longer a need for the white noise, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone.

I currently have no problem going to sleep with or without it though due to the hormones I take before bed.  I think I'll have to give them up next month though.

Respected Contributor

The Calm app is good and has lots of difference levels and sounds. 

Honored Contributor

LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Machine with 20 Unique Non-Looping Fan and White Noise Sounds and Sleep Timer - got it at Amazon.

The manufacturer is Sound of Sleep - check out their website for info on the different models.

Respected Contributor

I have it real bad, it's so loud! I sleep with the TV on 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

I just use a fan for white noise---