Respected Contributor

singulair side effects......

I was put on Singulair about six months ago.  I have had horrible nightmares...I finally quit taking it and they went away.  However, I have felt so bad since discontinuing it.  Tired and depressed and angry.  I went to my pulmonologist and he dismissed it and told me that those were not symptoms of the medication even after I told him the HIgh Definition nightmares started with med and ended when I stopped it.  He suggested a sleep study..........I have had this body for almost 70 years and I take very little medication so I know when something is different and when I react to a medication.  He told me to take medication in the morning even though recommendation was to take at night.  I did it yesterday and had a horrible nightmare that woke up from about 2 am.  Looking for new doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: singulair side effects......

@chiclet, I think I would switch too. What some of these drs don't seem to understand is we know our bodies better than they do. 

My daughter was given singulair years ago, for allergies. I do not recall her having nightmares. Not sure why you were prescribed it, but could you try a different allergy medication like claritin or allegra?

I was given trazadone for sleep and it kept me awake. I just felt very strange, but sleep was nowhere to be found. I tried it 3 different nights. When I told me mental health apn, he insisted that was not a side effect. He did take me off of it, which I had already quit taking it anyway. 

Just because a med is not listed in the side effect chart does not mean it can't happen. 

I wish we well in your search for a new dr. I hope you can find someone who listens. 

Honored Contributor

I have taken Singular for years but I take it in the morning, I have no side effects  I was told there is no difference in the time you take it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@chiclet , I am sorry that happened to you.  Apparently, you are not alone in experiencing these types of side effects, because I found this on Drugs.com regarding Singulair side effects.  As you know, we all must trust our instincts.  When something affects us, it should never be dismissed by another, even if that other person has "MD" after their name.  We are the ones who live with the side effects, and only we can determine if we wish to tolerate them.  Good luck finding a new doctor who will care about your valid concerns about your health.

"Psychiatric

Postmarketing reports: Agitation including aggressive behavior or hostility, anxiousness, depression, disorientation, dream abnormalities, hallucinations, insomnia, restlessness, somnambulism, suicidal thinking and behavior (including suicide), tic, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, dysphemia/stuttering"

From Rxlist.com, I found the following, which is exactly what you did-- bring your symptoms to your doctor-- to no avail.  No doctor should dismiss the sincere and valid concerns of their patients.  We are all different, and we all respond differently to different medications.  Wishing you the best in your search for a medication that works for you, too.:

• "Patients should be instructed to notify their physician if neuropsychiatric events occur while using SINGULAIR."

Esteemed Contributor

Stand your ground.  These things are real.  Your doctor will need to find a solution.  

I sometimes have to ask my daughter if I am nuts after a doctor visit and once she stops laughing 😆 she reaffirms my perceptions.

Honored Contributor

Tell him to use Google and type in  Singulair and vivid dreams.  Side effects of Singulair include nightmares, insomnia, hallucination, depression.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet

Ask your doctor to change the medication.