Super Contributor

CBS This Morning and World Epilepsy Day

CBS This Morning had a segment featuring Camila Coelho, a fashion entrepreneur, who has epilepsy. As a caregiver to my twin sister who has epilepsy, it was great to see this condition covered in such a caring and informative way. Besides today being World or International Epilepsy Day, St. Valentine is also one of the patron saints for people with epilepsy. I pray for my sister Margie and others fighting epilepsy and for all caregivers.❤️🙏LadyAlice
Valued Contributor

Re: CBS This Morning and World Epilepsy Day

I'm sure your sister appreciates you so much. Sisters are so special to each other, and being a twin makes the bond even stronger.  Bless you for stepping up to help your sister. 

Epilepsy can affect so many areas of life. It's hard to know how much unless you are living with it. 

Respected Contributor

LadyAlice,

When I was in 7th grade my schoolmate explained to all of his class friends about his epilepsy.

How to spot his pending attack and how to help him. 

What to do, not to do and encouraged all of us to ask him a million questions. 

To call him brave was an understatement.

To this day I remember him vividly.

He spoke to each of his various classes, and educated the kids and our teachers.

We all knew what to do when the time came and he was NEVER made fun of - which in itself was a miracle.

Bless you for caring and educating.

Keep up the great work,  I thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

There still remains such a stigma for those suffering from epilepsy, you'd think we were living in the year 1200.

If you have epilepsy, don't ever, ever declare it on an employment application!  You'll instantly become nearly unemployable.

And though those with epilepsy do fit under the "Americans with Disabilities Act," you first must attain employment, prior to feeling safe from expulsion due to your disease/disorder.

I know because I've been there, done that.  Could write a book.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate your kindness and compassion. LadyAlice