Respected Contributor

just wondering...I am approaching week 7 after THR ( and doing very well) and starting week #3 of outpatient PT 2X weekly and doing exerciese 2x day at home.  I have been VERY faithful about doing these since surgery but I must admit I am getting tired of doing them so often.  Is it bad to skip a session once in a while?  I have read pros and cons for doing PT but I do think it helps.  They don't tell you that this is such a long process...

Respected Contributor

Re: pt post hip replacement

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl I am glad you are making progress. If you begin skipping PT sessions it may slow your progress. I understand your being tired, but push through. Don't skip or shorten your exercises.

Edited to add: Tell your PT you are getting tired of the regimen. Maybe he or she can suggest how to change or cope without hindering progress.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

just wondering...I am approaching week 7 after THR ( and doing very well) and starting week #3 of outpatient PT 2X weekly and doing exerciese 2x day at home.  I have been VERY faithful about doing these since surgery but I must admit I am getting tired of doing them so often.  Is it bad to skip a session once in a while?  I have read pros and cons for doing PT but I do think it helps.  They don't tell you that this is such a long process...

@bargainsgirl 

You say "getting tired", are your referring to mentally or physically tired? This I can tell you from recovering from a ton of weight bearing injuries, and 2 back surgeries.

Just because someone decides your PT is over, does not mean you quit doing certain strength/mobility and flexibilty exercises completely. You want to keep all the muscles strong and joints as flexible, and as one gets older, it is even more important, post any weight bearing surgery.

Your Physical Therapist should be the one to talk with about this because he/she would be in the best position to judge your progress.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well to me. Best to you and the best recovery possible.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Contributor

I also had a THR in 2019 after a bad fall. I walk today with no limp and straight and tall. I credit it to a great surgeon and a great physical therapy team. Keep up the physical therapy for as long as possible. It will make a difference in your total recovery.  I still do my physical therapy exercises at home and try to walk most days. If you keep exercising, the muscles around your implant will remain strong and provide great support for your hip and leg. I hope you continue to improve each day and have a full and complete recovery.

Valued Contributor

I have had both hips replaced, 3 years apart, and neither time did my orthopedic surgeon require pt, only home exercises.  My husband had to do pt for knee replacement, same doctor, but this doctor routinely does not require or suggest pt, only when needed.  And both times I progressed completely satisfactorily without same.  Guess it's difference in doctors; my doctor is a very prominent orthopedic doctor where I live and does many many many total hip and knee replacements. Just fyi.  But I would definitely do what your doctor in your situation requires.

Esteemed Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

I have had both hips replaced, 3 years apart, and neither time did my orthopedic surgeon require pt, only home exercises.  My husband had to do pt for knee replacement, same doctor, but this doctor routinely does not require or suggest pt, only when needed. 

@just wonder 

What exactly constitutes "only when needed"? And no doctor can "require" you to do anything. Because they say do XYZ, does not mean you must do this or do that. The patient makes the final decision regardless of what any doctor or Physical Therapist says or "requires".

And both times I progressed completely satisfactorily without same.  Guess it's difference in doctors; my doctor is a very prominent orthopedic doctor where I live and does many many many total hip and knee replacements. Just fyi.  But I would definitely do what your doctor in your situation requires.

Of course the surgeon makes a difference, I see "prominent" used here quite often. 

I have a friend that is a Registered Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon. His entire practice is THR/TKR and/or Repair. Is he prominent? I have never asked him, but knowing him, he would say, "I do the best I can with what is involved with each one of my patients".

Not everyone that has a THR or TKR live the same type of lifestyle. Some are satisfied with being just being pain free, others want to return to the physically active lifestyles they had prior to any major surgery. 

I am glad you are happy with your surgeries and recovery, but!!!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@just wonder wrote:

I have had both hips replaced, 3 years apart, and neither time did my orthopedic surgeon require pt, only home exercises.  My husband had to do pt for knee replacement, same doctor, but this doctor routinely does not require or suggest pt, only when needed. 

@just wonder 

What exactly constitutes "only when needed"? And no doctor can "require" you to do anything. Because they say do XYZ, does not mean you must do this or do that. The patient makes the final decision regardless of what any doctor or Physical Therapist says or "requires".

And both times I progressed completely satisfactorily without same.  Guess it's difference in doctors; my doctor is a very prominent orthopedic doctor where I live and does many many many total hip and knee replacements. Just fyi.  But I would definitely do what your doctor in your situation requires.

Of course the surgeon makes a difference, I see "prominent" used here quite often. 

I have a friend that is a Registered Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon. His entire practice is THR/TKR and/or Repair. Is he prominent? I have never asked him, but knowing him, he would say, "I do the best I can with what is involved with each one of my patients".

Not everyone that has a THR or TKR live the same type of lifestyle. Some are satisfied with being just being pain free, others want to return to the physically active lifestyles they had prior to any major surgery. 

I am glad you are happy with your surgeries and recovery, but!!!

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn     I have a LOT of things to say about a couple of those "prominent" doctors, but they are not printable.    What I CAN say is that I found  them to be greedy  hogs when it comes to insurance money.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi 

I have doctors in my family and have several friends that are doctors. To me, it is always best to find a doctor one trusts, regardless of their prominence.

Rehabilitation is not something I only talk about, it is something I have done more times than I can remember. Without some type of therapy, my recoveries would be pretty much non existent. This applies to health/injury or surgery.

How one chooses to improve their specific position is their call. Statistically and personal experiences are all I need to know in reference to recoveries.

Joints need muscles to support them. The stronger the muscles the less strain on all joints. Muscles need movement to maintain strength. Without movement all muscles will atrophy. I doubt any reputable doctor, with or without prominence, would dispute that statement.

My nephew, who is an MD, changed his field of medicine for a reason. In his original field he saw what prominence did to some that were in that field, thus his change. He found the more prominence, the more patients would likely become a number, which was not his purpose of wanting to become a doctor.

I am not exactly sure what you "would say", but odds are pretty good, that I would totally agree with you. Thanks for your input.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never did PT with either of my two hip replacements... I just WALKED.  

They both turned out perfectly.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never did PT with either of my two hip replacements... I just WALKED.  

They both turned out perfectly.

@SeaMaiden 

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but here goes. Walking is physical therapy

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)