Respected Contributor

Esmeraldagooch, if you don't mind sharing the information could you tell me were the place in San Diego is located or the name  of the place that they do the stem cell transplants. I would be very much interested to read about how they do this and what all is involved. $16,000 seems like a lot of money but to be able to get ones life back and  to able to function  the way a person used to be I think it is a very fair price.  Thank you for posting that they are even doing this. 

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My mother had MS and it used to drive me nuts that she actually disregarded the heat.  I told her over and over that heat was a cause of MS symptoms to be worse, but she didn't feel it.  I tried to tell her that just because she wasn't perceiving it, didn't meat it wasn't affecting her.

Before she was diagnosed, she and my dad visited Hot Springs, Arkansas.  While there, she passed out after being in one of the springs.  Looking back, it makes sense.

I often think she must have had some brain changes with how she responded sometimes to dealing with the MS.  She seemed to disregard things and that just wasn't like her over her lifetime.

She passed away at 77 from complications.  Many things I wish I had done differently.

Praying for anything that will help this disease.

Hyacinth

The OP's experience with heat is common to many, but definitely not all people with MS. Ambient heat, like the weather, may be fine for some MS people like your mother, and for me. I find the warmer weather, which I never liked before, a comfort and a tonic, even if I'm sweating buckets.

Immersion in very hot water, like a hot bath or hot springs, is quite a different thing. I don't take baths, showers only, and my sauna days are over. I've never passed out, but I'll need a lie down after a long hot shower, it makes me feel so bad.

But these symptoms are TRANSITORY. You recover. I have never read anything to suggest that they impact the disability course of MS. 

Cognitive and personality changes are also not uncommon in MS. Your mother's apparent changes may have been due to MS, older age, or something else.

If there is any disorder in which "your mileage may vary," it's multiple sclerosis. I'm confident that one day they'll find that what has been called MS is actually several different neurological conditions, with different natural histories and different treatment requirements. Hopefully one day MS, like lupus, RA, and other autoimmune disorders can be prevented or cured.

Respected Contributor

i thank all of you for your comments and concerns and prayers.much appriciated.