Respected Contributor

anyone with ms knows this time of year can be just aweful because of intense summer heat. it makes us tired weak and totally messes with our balance and walking. a cold shower or a dip in a pool can help and ac is a must have. i have had ms since april 2002. good luck to all of you dealing with summer heat.

Valued Contributor

My thoughts are with you. Don't know if you have ever tried a Black Ice Cooling Collar but it does help. It will keep you cool for an hour and half and doesn't get soggy. I bought one for a dear friend who has nerve damage and can't take the heat at all. She said it was a lifesaver.

Trusted Contributor

I hope you will find a way to cope. It sounds hard.  ❤️

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1, in one of my MS magazines, somebody suggested ice packs on your wrists...

We live in SW Florida, and the heat and humidity machine is cranking. I keep the AC on 70 (our bills are high, but oh well)....but what is really helping me are Lasko  tower fans-bliss!

IStaying hydrated is a must: icy cold water (I make mine like the consistency of sleet) is amazing for cooling you down.

Stay cool friend,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

A friend lived a pretty full life into her early 80's in spite of MS.  They had lived in South Dakota, but moved here to S. E. Louisiana some years ago to be near children.  She truly suffered from the heat and so often mentioned that she wished she could move back north. I wish God's blessings on you as you struggle through the summer months.  

Honored Contributor

One of my Dad's hospice nurses used one of those scarves you wrap around your neck and snap it in the air to revive it.  She gets bad hot flashes and says they really help her.  She got hers at Wal-Mart, I think.  I am going to buy one for DH as his cancer treatments are giving him terrible hot flashes.  They are keeping him up at night they are so bad. 

I hope you get some relief soon.  Am sorry you have to deal with the MS.  My prayers and thoughts to help you get through the getting through".

Respected Contributor

Re: multiple sclorosis

[ Edited ]

Pooky,  Have you looked into stem cell transplants to help your MS.  My nephew has had MS for 20 years and was walking with a cane but mostly wheel chair bound.(age 37, got it in high school)  With in two weeks he was walking without a cane and is now out golfing , squatting by the camp fire cooking marshmallows, bowling and enjoying life two months later.  His neurologist was impressed by his condition and is going to do a scan next time he's in.    He had his treatment in Long Beach CA but there is another one in San Diego he could have gone to also.

It cost $16,000 and they used his own cells and put them back into him. He stayed in the area for 5 days in case there was a problem but it only took a few days for the treament.

Respected Contributor

My mother had MS and it used to drive me nuts that she actually disregarded the heat.  I told her over and over that heat was a cause of MS symptoms to be worse, but she didn't feel it.  I tried to tell her that just because she wasn't perceiving it, didn't meat it wasn't affecting her.

Before she was diagnosed, she and my dad visited Hot Springs, Arkansas.  While there, she passed out after being in one of the springs.  Looking back, it makes sense.

I often think she must have had some brain changes with how she responded sometimes to dealing with the MS.  She seemed to disregard things and that just wasn't like her over her lifetime.

She passed away at 77 from complications.  Many things I wish I had done differently.

Praying for anything that will help this disease.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Pooky,  Have you looked into stem cell transplants to help your MS.  My nephew has had MS for 20 years and was walking with a cane but mostly wheel chair bound.(age 37, got it in high school)  With in two weeks he was walking without a cane and is now out golfing , squatting by the camp fire cooking marshmallows, bowling and enjoying life two months later.  His neurologist was impressed by his condition and is going to do a scan next time he's in.    He had his treatment in Long Beach CA but there is another one in San Diego he could have gone to also.

It cost $16,000 and they used his own cells and put them back into him. He stayed in the area for 5 days in case there was a problem but it only took a few days for the treament.

His own stem cells?  Wonderful!  God bless him and any improvement in his disease.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Yes, They treated his own stem cells.  Here they are.

18034017_10211010655816161_569648202669233159_n.jpg