Respected Contributor

we have a local homeopathic practitioner that is "pushing" mitochondria. it's suppose to boost energy, help with weight, etc. Has anyone used this or have any knowledge, about it? Not much on google and of course the A store sells it.

tempted but looking for info. thanks for any info.

Valued Contributor

Re: mitochondria supplement?

I've heard ads for this kind of supplement also and I have questioned if this is a gimmick. Let's first start with what is mitochondria? With the below definition, I am not sure how these new supplements are doing anything "new" although if you read the ingredients, they may really be immunity booster vitamins and supplements. The one I looked at online is simply a collection of immune boosting stuff and I already take much of what is in that product. Sorry, my answer is I am not sure about these products and am not taking one. 

Mitochondria are membrane-bound cell organelles (mitochondrion, singular) that generate most of the chemical energy needed to power the cell's biochemical reactions.

Honored Contributor

One of my aunts went to a homeopathic practitioner and ended up in the hospital ... really messed up body chemistry.

I wouldn't take any supplements - prescribed or not!  

Honored Contributor

I'd pass on anything unless a medical expert could guarantee a supplement was both safe and effective.  The term "snake oil salesman" comes to mind.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have a confirmed illness which leads to mitochondrial dysfunction then your doctor should know what you need. Most cases of mitochondrial dysfunction are secondary while a smaller percentage are ones where a person is born with it.

From google:

"Many conditions can lead to secondary mitochondrial dysfunction and affect other diseases, including:
  • Alzheimer's disease.
  • Muscular dystrophy.
  • Lou Gehrig's disease.
  • Diabetes.
  • Cancer."
Valued Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

we have a local homeopathic practitioner that is "pushing" mitochondria. it's suppose to boost energy, help with weight, etc. Has anyone used this or have any knowledge, about it? Not much on google and of course the A store sells it.

tempted but looking for info. thanks for any info.

I answered above but then I thought about what exactly is this chiropractor wanting you to purchase. He can't be selling real mitochondria, can he? Its a supplement of some kind or do I have this correct. Take a photo of the ingredients on the bottle label and research them. If you need a boost to your immune system, there are many factors involved. Like what is one's Vitamin D or B12 or thyroid level (blood tests), what is one's CBC, etc. Some people drink their Vitamin C by real juice, or eat dark green leafy veggies to booster their immune system. So if you don't understand this product or procedure this guy is pushing, then ask questions or ignore it. Chiropractors have their place but they can not do medical care in my state. I am interested in what you find out it really is that he is selling. 

Respected Contributor

thanks for your responses. I had a feeling it was too gimmicky and obscure, to be something i needed. I promoted energy because of B-?? but i get B?? in my multi-vits.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr I don't trust ANYTHING being "pushed", especially when it sounds like snake oil.

Honored Contributor

Literally everybody wants more energy and to lose weight so good selling point.  My husband, who complains about the prescriptions I take, lately has lost a lot of energy.  He got something the other day in the mail, and when I saw him putting some powder into his water, I asked what it was.  "Just something for energy."  I told him he really needed to go to the doctor and get a good physical.  It could just be some deficiency.  Vitamin D supplementation has eliminated my deficiency and severe fatigue.  He didn't say anything and just went back to his iPad.  I think he is just too proud of the fact that he doesn't "need" any prescriptions at his age when it's just that he doesn't know if he does need something.  

Contributor

As someone who suffers from a rare mitochondrial dosorder, I can assure you that what they are pushing is nothing that will change the structure and function of your mitochondrial cells.

Mitochonrial cells are the "energy cells" of our body, esp important for proper muscle function. Many people are looking for ways to increase their energy levels and this practionioner seems to be taking advantage of that by claiming he has the remedy to alter the mitochondria and increase the activity - only problem is, if it was true, it would be Noble Prize worthy and the doctors at the Mayo Clinic and the NIH would most certainly know about it.

As mentioned before, most of the time homeopathic practioners do no harm, but I know of patients who decided to forgo traditional Western medicine and embrace homeopathic treatment and ended up very sick and hospitalized. Too many people believe that homeopathy uses "natural" treatments and therefore cannot be harmful, which is so not true.