Regular Contributor

First of all , I did go to the dr. today.  Had a hard time explaining my problem to the dr.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.

I basically feel like I am nervous or anxious.  Not mentally but the way my stomach reacts when I am upset or nervous,  I am not having any of these thoughts when this feeling comes over me.  I have also been having some irritable bowel symptoms along with it so I thought that was causing it.  My dr decided to double up my prevacid incase its some sort of heartburn. It does not feel like my usual heartburn.  She also did an EKG and everything was ok.  I was hoping that taking metamucil was starting to help so my dr said we could wait it out to see if that is the problem.  She thinks what I describe has nothing to do with IBS.  it doesnt hurt just feels wierd.  Also I still have lots of hot flashes and I sometimes think the hot flash is preceeded by this feeling .  I know I am not being very clear but hopefully someone has had this type of thing.  I'm concerned with any sickness that can not be figured out.  It is scary.  Also just to mention I have a very sensitive stomach and often have reactions to new medicines.  I was put on insulin about the time this started but my endocronologist didn't seem to think this had anything to do w

Respected Contributor

Since you are having hot flashes maybe your anxiety is caused by hormonal changes?  Just a thought. 

Honored Contributor

I'd be concerned about taking an increased dose of Prevacid or any PPI.   My doctor took me completely off of it after long-term use was causing damage to my kidneys.  Now I hear an attorney on TV advertising for participants in a class action suit for people who have taken any PPI and have suffered kidney damage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Hi Dennylilly,

I'm sorry you're having this problems.

I have a very similar feeling to what you're describing, right before a hot flash.  It lasts a few seconds - agitation or anxiety- very hard to describe but a very distinct feeling - like I have to get up and do something accompanied by a weird feeling in my stomach.  It is followed by a hot flash.  It took me awhile to figure out the association at first but it's been a long time now.

The only other person who described this hot flash symptom is my colorist.  I was so surprised when she was telling me about that feeling she gets.  Hers went away when her hot flashes did.

I don't know if that's what you are experiencing but, just wanted to share.

I still have them : (

Best of luck!

Regular Contributor

I have a few suggestions for you.  You mentioned you are having hot flashes which  coinsides with these feelings...so If you are going through menapause, this might be hormonal.  I know my hot flashes mess with my stomach and irritable bowel.  Maybe talking to your gynocologist is a good idea. On the other hand...a gastro doctor might be another good idea.  There are other problems besides heartburn that can give you weird feelings in your stomach. And one last suggestion, if you have a cardiologist, maybe reach out to him/her.  I know you said you had an EKG, but  an EKG  shows what is happening at that very moment and might not be capturing what is going on with your heart at the time of these anxious feelings.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like what I call "nervous stomach" when I get it.  The only thing that really helps me is a very low dose of generic valium.  Good luck for getting a 'scrip for that these days!  Anyway, I'm now on a low dose anti-depressant, (buspirone), but doesn't help nearly like the valium used to.  Good luck with your issue.  If it's the same as what I described, it's not fun.

Trusted Contributor

@dennylilly   Be sure to pay attention to what your blood sugar level is when you are experiencing the hot flashes and weird stomach feelings. Your blood sugar may be low, symptoms of low blood sugar include nervousness, sweating, hot flash, trembling hands, confussion.

High blood sugars can also make  you nauseated.

Valued Contributor

it must be hormonal changes...

Honored Contributor

You can also get another doctor's opinion.  Not all doctors find or think the same thing.  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Sounds like what I call "nervous stomach" when I get it.  The only thing that really helps me is a very low dose of generic valium.  Good luck for getting a 'scrip for that these days!  Anyway, I'm now on a low dose anti-depressant, (buspirone), but doesn't help nearly like the valium used to.  Good luck with your issue.  If it's the same as what I described, it's not fun.

@Krimpette I know what you mean. Now they want to give you xanax. That stuff gives me a headache.

I wonder if taking ginger would help?