Honored Contributor

I am on a daily dose of allopurinal for my gout for many years. Then yesterday, out of the blue, I woke up with a swollen and very painful foot. Haven't had this for years! Dh had to get my walker out of the attic. I doubled up on my allopurinal this morning.

Honored Contributor

What do you think it was that set it off?  My husband cannot have shrimp.  My brother-in-law has too much beef and his acts up.  Very painful indeed!

Honored Contributor

@151949@Do you keep yourself really well hydrated?My son has gout and he really needs to avoid beef and alcohol but also stay hydrated.My son says that pain is so bad that he gave up his two favorites in hope of never having that horrendous experience again...beef and beer.I hope that your attack subsides quickly.

Regular Contributor

@151949  Sorry to hear this. I have extreme sympathy for anyone that experiences gout pain. My DH has been dealing w/ gout on and off for about 10 years. He has it under control and hasn't had any attacks for a couple of years.  For the longest time he thought it was brought on by beer and/or steak but eventually he figured out it was actually butter that would bring on an attack. I hope your med kicks in and you feel better quickly.

Honored Contributor

My sister has this and told me they recommend she drink cherry juice, but it was so sour she couldn't. I suggested she cut it with some 7 Up or ginger ale

You might give it a try

Visitor
I too take daily allopurinol for gout and have for several years. Lately, I feel my feet and ankles are on the verge of a gout attack but the feeling goes away eventually after my dose kicks in. My doctor and pharmacist think that specific foods should not trigger an attack while taking allopurinol, and drinking more water is the answer to this problem. I drink approx. six to eight 16 oz. bottles of water daily as well as green ice tea throughout the day. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time in the bathroom ! Hydration is imperative to flush and eliminate uric acid in the kidneys while taking allopurinol. I have felt the pain of gout in the past & will do anything not to go through that agony again. I would not double the dosage until I talked to my doctor. Its pretty potent stuff & I read that long term and/or high dosage can eventually damage kidneys.
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

mine acts up when i have too much shellfish (which i LOVE), cocktails, and fried foods. it also occurs when i dont drink enough water to flush out the uric acid crystals.

i only take my medication when it flares up......not regularly

indomethacin 75mg twice a day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

mine acts up when i have too much shellfish (which i LOVE), cocktails, and fried foods. it also occurs when i dont drink enough water to flush out the uric acid crystals.

i only take my medication when it flares up......not regularly

indomethacin 75mg twice a day.

This med is just an antiinflammatory. You need to be on allopurinal or some other drug that helps to clear the uric acid out of your system.

Honored Contributor

I did not read all the posts, but my husband had two bouts with gout(his big toe). The doc did not think it was diet related , he just stopped his Lasix and he has not had a gout attack for almost a year. Do any of you notice that your breath has an odd smell when you are brewing a gout attack? My husbands breath had a strange almost metallic smell for weeks before he had an attack. I thought it was the cat at first because the cat sleeps in his bedroom, but no it was my husband. We mentioned it to the doc and he said no one ever mentioned odd smelling breath as a symptom, but who knows. Anyway, no bad breath since his gout was resolved.