Super Contributor

Re: does anyone use a rebounder?

I really like my rebounder. It's a great way for me to get low-impact aerobic activity. I usually just jog in place and it's perfect for that. At one point, I had a shin splint from road running, and I didn't want to get out of shape waiting for it to heal, so the rebounder was great.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the answers...I think I will get one....I have to exercise forever and I get bored sometimes...!

Honored Contributor

I want a Bellicon!! Customized, of course!

Valued Contributor

On 7/2/2014 aprilskies said:

I have one and do like it very much. I havent used it much because I have to lug it out and put it back in a tight place so I avoid it. But I am going to start using it. I also have one on my pilates machine but I like the other one because I can use it in front of my tv. Mine is the Jumpsport. You need balance though and need to be careful unless you have a bar to hold on to. I dont have a bar so I am just careful on it. But I do enjoy the jumping effect.

Can you tell me what model you have? Thanks!

Regular Contributor

I have had used rebounders for years, but not as a regular part of my fitness routine until the last three years. I have had four - a cheapie, an Urban Rebounder...when I started using it for real - I went for a jumpsport...the difference between springs and bungee is amazing...After over a year of using the jumpsport daily, I went for the top of the line and got a bellicon. I know I will use this piece of equipment for the rest of my life and felt I'd earned it. The bellicon is very expensive - along the lines of buying a treadmill...But it is worth it.

The benefits are huge. I rebound daily and generally when watching tv or listening to music. I go from short spurts to an hour or even hours a time. I watch movies on it. During football play offs I would be off and on for the entire day LOL It is fun...almost doesn't seem like a workout, but it is. Last November, I decided that I would not go a day without doing 10,000 steps on my rebounder. From November through end of January - I did only rebounding. During that time, I lost almost 15 pounds and a lot of inches. The most significant weight loss was in my core, but even more exciting - I had slight lymphedema from breast cancer surgery and was told there was nothing that could reduce that swelling. Wrong. My underarm and back is almost back to normal.

Other great things - my endurance. Once it got warmer out, I started hiking and I found that I just could go and go. I have gained better muscle tone in my core and legs. I just love it!

Now I am including some of my other favorite ways to workout - boxing, step, weight training in with my rebounding, but I still never go a day without being on it for a little while.

The one thing I can say is that there is no comparison between a cheap model with springs and a rebounder with bungees. Springs are a firm bounce, bungees make a soft landing, easy on the knees. When I went from the UR to the jumpsport....ahhhhh....The UR feels like jumping on the sidewalk in comparison. People seem to write off this form of exercise and honestly, so did I....but I am so impressed with the results and I love to do it. There is no more wasted time watching tv sitting on my butt, I can rebound throughout a whole evening of shows, if I want. I love that you can start at any level and increase your input as you get more used to the balance.

Anyway - have to speak up as one who has used this as a true tool, over time and really believes in rebounding - for health, lymph system, fitness, weight loss and fun.

ETA - I LOVED my jumpsport, but really wanted the extra room that the bellicon offered. They are both really great, but the bellicon wins in my book. Jumpsport wins for better price point - many models to choose from. I had the lowest end model and it was fine until I decided I earned the upgrade.

Honored Contributor

Karsa: what color combo did you get??

Regular Contributor

I got the 49 inch - black with orange stripe/orange bungees.

Do you have a bellicon, too? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 Karsa said:

I got the 49 inch - black with orange stripe/orange bungees.

Do you have a bellicon, too? Smiley Happy

Nope...it's on my if-I-won-the-lottery list. Being a gym rat, I know I probably wouldn't use it that much...I would have to use it in my garage Smiley Sad boo. But I love the pink/silver combo...or pink/pink? Color aside, I've researched & you really DO get what you pay for. Bellicon is a 'gym-grade' piece of equipment. Those interested, check on CraigsList.

Regular Contributor

You'd be surprised how much you might still use it even if you are a gym rat. I still go to the gym, boxing, crossfit , do all my home gym stuff (I have a pretty nice home set up) and still get my daily rebounding in. It's one of those good obsessions Smiley Happy After the success with the lymphedema, I really will do this forever. I was a personal trainer pre-breast cancer, though that lapsed long ago. I agree- this is the one if you're serious. I know a lot of people in my rebounding group that got theirs from craigslist - good tip! Smiley Happy

One thing to know for anyone who uses an urban rebounder or other spring type rebounders - the bungees have a totally different type of bounce and you have to modify those dvds in a major way. I like to freestyle with my bellicon (or as I've also heard it called "belly-gone") LOL

I just keep it set up in front of the tv pretty much all the time, so that makes it easier to just jump on whenever I feel the urge, though Smiley Happy I'm thinking when the bungees wear out, I'd love the green. They didn't have that choice when I purchased.

Honored Contributor

Karsa: Wow...your story intrigues me. You're a fitness buff, previous personal trainer...I like you! Sounds like your mental strength from your fitness life came in handy to battle the Big C & lymphedema. I bet you have many success stories to tell!