Honored Contributor

I am going to start seeing a concierge doctor.   Anyone here do this?

I look forward to being treated better...no waiting room spent with coughing sick people....no rushed visit....and all the tests done not based just  on just what insurance will pay for or not ...It will cost  about $1200 a year.  I will continue to carry my other medical insurance as well.

"Fees for retainer-based care run from $80 a month to $25,000 a year, with most doctors charging about $100 a month, experts say. A typical concierge physician has about 600 patients compared with the 2,500 or so patients of a typical primary-care physician"

here is a good pro and con article 

https://www.moneycrashers.com/concierge-medicine-direct-primary-care/

Honored Contributor

I probably won’t at this point after looking into but I’d definitely consider it down the line. 

Youll have to update us and give us the scoop and what you end up thinking of it. 

Honored Contributor

The doctor I was seeing chose to go the "concierge" route.  That was ten years ago and the cost was $1,200/year.  I'm sure it's more now.  I changed doctors.  

I can see the value of this service if a person has multiple medical conditions and needs to see a doctor asap and needs more time on each visit.  For a relatively healthy person, I don't see the need.

Honored Contributor

I think the medical group my brother goes to practices concierge medicine, he claims he never waits and it is always treated well

The TV show Royals Pains was about a  concierge doc in the New York Hamptons

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: concierge doctor

[ Edited ]

What all is included in the $1,200?  Does it include certain testing, a certain number of appointments, etc. or is it strickly just the fee you pay to have access to that doctor and everything is still your personal responsibility to pay out of pocket?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti  As it was described to me years ago, the fee only gives access to the doctor for unlimited visits and as much time as the patient needs.  For everything else it is necessary to have medical insurance.

Honored Contributor

Some of my neighbors use concierge doctors.  Booming business in my neck of the wood.  Never heard of any complaints. Neighbors are well pleased.  However, these neighbors have "medical issues" that require seeing doctors throughout the year.  So concierge doctors works out very well for them.

For a "healthy" person, I do not see the need for one.  I agree w/Kaydee's comment.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

1200 is a bargain rate, I know most in my area were 1500 years ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

MY friend has a insurance where her doctor treats patients like this at no additional cost. She has a BCBS plan. It is a large group with 120k members. 

Mary can email, or text and get an appointment asap. 

Esteemed Contributor

JMO but it’s just another way for a doctor to separate me from my money. I would never do it. When ever DH & I need to see a doctor we go to Urgent Care.We have never had a problem getting in.We are always treated well.

I do understand that different people have different needs.Therefore, everyone has to do what is comfortable for them.