Contributor

Yes. My mother had it and it wasn't good. Anytime you use an antibiotic also take a probiotic. That's probably already been mentioned. I didn't read through all the responses. Some (as in her case) doctors and nurses shrug it off but go get some on your own and take it.

Honored Contributor

My husband's cousin had surgery in April, and was diagnosed with C-diff within 3 weeks. She took a standard course of Vancomycin, but is now dealing with this infection for a second time. This time she will take the medication for 3 straight months, and has been told to continue taking an OTC probiotic, as well as eat yogurt 3x a day. She is mentally devastated to have this infection. C-diff can be acquired within a hospital setting, just as you can pick up staph and MRSA there as well. However, all of these bacterial infections are out in the community as well. We can all be carriers of the C-diff spores inside our bodies, and all it takes to activate the infection is to disrupt the bacteria in our colon.

Please see your doctor ASAP to get another stool culture, and get back on medication. Eat yogurt that is made with live cultures several times each day, and take a daily probiotic. Clean your toilets with bleach, and use bleach wipes on surfaces in your bathroom. Chlorine bleach is the only cleaner that will kill C-diff spores. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands! Best wishes to you as you battle this nasty infection. It requires extreme diligence to rid the body of this dangerous bacteria; stay strong, and follow your doctors instructions.

Trusted Contributor

C-diff is a serious intestinal infection and must be taken very seriously. It is often transmitted in healthcare settings and often lands (or keeps) people in the hospital. It is resistant to many antibiotics and can be very challenging to get rid of. Work very carefully and seriously with your doctors on this. I wish you a quick and complete recovery.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/4/2014 ennui1 said:
On 7/4/2014 jump4joy said:
On 7/4/2014 ennui1 said:
On 7/4/2014 sparklestar said:

??? {#emotions_dlg.blink} Do you perhaps mean colon?

Maybe she's got a thing for Colin Farrell?

Not funny -- apparently you are not familiar with C-diff.

The OP is seeking medical advice on a shopping channel forum. Lighten up.

ennui1:

1. I've seen you here before, so it should be no surprise that people DO seek advice here. Often times folks are looking for like experiences or someone to steer them in the right direction, because they may not have many people in their lives to help them do that!!!

2. In case you haven't noticed, we have a literacy problem in this country and, I say this with all kindness, it appears the original poster is simply lacking skills that you and I take for granted. This is nothing that should be fodder for those who consider themselves high and mighty.

3. It's people like you that muddy the waters on these boards.

4. I sincerely hope the O.P. is able to find decent clinical help for her issue.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe the OP is upset because she is dealing with a very serious medical condition, and she misspelled a word. Big deal and shame on anyone that had the poor taste to mention it.

Super Contributor

to sfnative ... well said.

Esteemed Contributor

Some of you are so mean. I have a bad habit of writing words how they sound and always forget to proof read. No one died get over it.

Esteemed Contributor

First of all I am not lacking skills. I am college educated and I find that offensive.

Super Contributor
I am sorry ccassaday. People are so ill mannered, and don't seem to walk a mile in the others' shoes. We have all mistyped a word at times and just missed a spelling. You are ill and I hope you will followup on treatment with your doctor and in the mean time eat the yogurt and take probiotics. All the best for a speedy recovery.
Valued Contributor

You need oral vancomycin. And Florastor probiotic. Take the probiotic faithfully. Even if you have taken vancomycin for it before, it's the best thing to treat it again. If you had flagyl before, not a wonder it's back. The oral vancomycin doesn't penetrate your gut. It hangs out in the digestive tract, so you should not experience any side effects to speak of from taking it. Hope you get better soon!