Esteemed Contributor

I have insomnia, I haven't always been like this. It has gotten worse lately, where even rx meds do not help. I do have apt Thurs with someone else.

My question is this. Have any of you used the Calm app? I have tried it twice at bedtime, (people telling stories) and it just seems to make me agitated. I'm done with it. I do not understand, some peole act like its the best thing since sliced bread. Meditiation does me the same way. Its  like it works the opposite for me of what its suppose to.

Honored Contributor

I've seen that app advertised.  I have an Amazon Dot with a Bose speaker in the bedroom so if I want nature sounds, I just tell Alexa to play a thunderstorm or whatever.  I subscribe to Amazon Music and have access to all sorts of sounds.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@happycat -

Son interesting that you said that!

My daughter loves it and so I tried it but felt the same as you!

It just kept me up and was annoying.

I did try all the different ones.

I don't think the sounds even the ones that are supposed to be are soothing!

You know what I use? The sound machines-got one from BBB while ago and you can order different ones online. That is what a lot of moms use for their babies.

I actually love the thunder soundSmiley Happy

There is an ocean one too but that just makes me wish I was at the ocean!

HoMedics® SoundSpa® Sound Machine

$23.99

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My other daughter uses the Amazon music app tooSmiley Happy

I like the sound machine because it turns off itself (you can pick 1-3 hours).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I also use a sound machine.  It has several different kinds of sounds.  Most often, I just use the "white noise" playing softly.  It really helps.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Before you buy anything, just go on youtube and pull up a nature sound you feel soothing.  Or they also have supposed videos with music and other sounds that are supposed to be sleep inducing.  Worth a try maybe?

Esteemed Contributor

The first time I succeeded at medication was in the early 70s under a Buddhist teacher.  I still can hear his steps in my head.  I think it only succeeded because it was in person.

Then many years later I had a yoga instructor who had us do restorative poses one week a month.  It took about two years until I suddenly felt my back relax for the first time in my life.

So an instant fix for relaxation/insomnia via an app may not be reality.  Could you see what is open around you?

The other thing that still works for a quick fix is Lamaze breathing.  I huff and puff the instant they come at me with a needle.

Frequent Contributor

This may sound somewhat counterproductive, but you might try progressive muscle relaxation as you are trying to go to sleep. I find that it focuses, yet distracts, the mind and in the midst of doing the breathing and exercises I go to sleep. There are a number of YouTube videos, but I like this one. The movements are small and easy to do in bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86HUcX8ZtAk

Once you know the technique and rhythm, you can do the progressive muscle technique anywhere. I've used it before dental work and before, and after surgery. 

I'm one of those extra early bird people, waking up at 4:30 am often. I use the progressive muscle relaxation to help get back to sleep until a more reasonable hour to get up.

Good luck with whatever you try.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@happycat -

Son interesting that you said that!

My daughter loves it and so I tried it but felt the same as you!

It just kept me up and was annoying.

I did try all the different ones.

I don't think the sounds even the ones that are supposed to be are soothing!

You know what I use? The sound machines-got one from BBB while ago and you can order different ones online. That is what a lot of moms use for their babies.

I actually love the thunder soundSmiley Happy

There is an ocean one too but that just makes me wish I was at the ocean!

HoMedics® SoundSpa® Sound Machine

$23.99

@on the bay  I have a sound machine beside my bed. The sound I play every night is the rain sound. I can’t sleep without some kind of noise—even a fan is great.  I had my sound machine brought to me a few years back when I ended up in the hospital. The first couple nights without were awful with the noise. With my machine I slept better. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. 

We have a sound machine, works like a charm for dh when he is on nightshift. I have tried it with most of the different sounds, it didn't help me, unfortunately. 

I am beginning to think this is from too many things that have caused me stress in the last year and I'm just a little messed up at this point. 

Hopefully the dr I talk to Thurs can help me. 

Even doubling up on my rx sleeping medication isn 't working.