Respected Contributor

bone spur surgery under big toe

Has anyone had this type of surgery?  I was told I would need to wear a boot for about 3 weeks.  Not quite ready for this yet cause I had a Hip Replacement last March. 

Honored Contributor

Re: bone spur surgery under big toe

I had bone spur surgery on both my heels-not at the same time. Recovery was intensive and I had to wear a boot and used a Roll About. I do not regret having the surgery and have no more pain since my recovery.

I can understand how you feel and maybe you should talk to your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl   Are you in pain?  I dislocated a bone in my foot when I tripped over some wires in our apartment.  Doctor wanted to do surgery.  I said "no."  Wore a boot for a couple of weeks.  I still cannot bend my foot properly and don't walk as much as did, but I am not in any pain so no surgery for me.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@bargainsgirl   Are you in pain?  I dislocated a bone in my foot when I tripped over some wires in our apartment.  Doctor wanted to do surgery.  I said "no."  Wore a boot for a couple of weeks.  I still cannot bend my foot properly and don't walk as much as did, but I am not in any pain so no surgery for me.

kaydee50:  Yes I get the callus(which has grown over the spur)  shaved down about every 2 months.  At first it worked for the first 6 weeks or so but not so much anymore.  I  wear a circular looking bandaid pad under my toe which helps alot.  It pinches when I don't wear it and it causes me to walk very gingerly which is not good at all.  So it has been about 2 years now and it will not go away so looks like I will do the surgery when the weather turns...maybe after xmass.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl   I hope that your doctor stressed that it is the farthrest appendage from the heart so it takes longer to heal as it is the last to get blood flow.  Also my doctor said heavy people had a harder time healing.  GOOD LUCK on your foot surgery!