Trusted Contributor

@KLm, Very interesting.  I'm going to look this up.  Thanks 

Esteemed Contributor

@KLm Never heard of Apollo Neuro before and I am intrigued.  Do you do this first thing in the morning?  Does it put you back to sleep?  Is it a wrist piece of equipment?

Thanks for sharing!

Contributor

Medication can make a big difference and also diet can play a huge part.  Eliminating sugar and other empty carbohydrates can help  a lot.  Also cognitive therapy to help keep the attacks from escalating.  Good old fashioned Claire Weekes books are still great resources.

Frequent Contributor

Severe anxiety is horrible to go through. Several years ago I had an anxiety attack at work (work load of two positions with no help).  I thought I was having a stroke, it was very scarey.  I was put on Paxil which ended the attacks.  A couple years later I switched to Zoloft.  After I retired I tried to taper off of Zoloft but after a few months I was suddenly in a state of deep depression.  Needless to say I started back on the medication again.  I was never referred for any counseling by anyone.  

Valued Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe  I use it throughout the day. As I remember to turn it on. Or if I need to switch between the modes. For example, if I am feeling stressed and I need to switch to the calm mode. The app is on my ipad, and it also has buttons on the device that I use to restart it if I am away from my ipad.

I usually don't sleep with it on although I have. Part of their claim is that it increases your sleep and its quality. The "vibes" that I mentioned (I don't use them; that is an extra fee) supposedly helps you get back to sleep if you wake during the night.

Minimum 90 minutes/day, 90 minutes/night. For me it is easier to run in hourly sessions, 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM. I only run the energy mode for 30 minutes at a time.

It really is worth looking into. I may not have delved into a use that would benefit someone else b/c this thread focused on anxiety. The modes are: energy, social, focus, recover, calm, unwind, and sleep. Right now they have a Good morning Vibe and a good evening vibe, which they call smartvibes.

From the app: "Sleep is the underpinning of good mental health and is a big part of your benefits score. Playing Apollo Vibes during the day is essential to getting good sleep at night, and playing Apollo Vibes to unwind and fall asleep will help you restore your body and wake up rested and refreshed."

I am a customer, not a rep or anything. I wear it most often on my wrist but sometimes on my ankle. It is a rectangular device on a velcro strap.

Valued Contributor

@Tori3569  I hope you find it interesting. I think their main claims are sleep improvement, but the thing I personally noticed is what I described in my first post about it. Just a reduction in that tense feeling I continually had. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with severe anxiety. I have a relative that is going thru such an awful time with it ----I don't know much about it other than using google for some info. She is going thru therapy once a week but from what I witnessed recently, she needs way more than therapy!!  Not looking for "cures" just what type of intervention there is--I need to see if I can steer her toward something. Feel just awful that I can't do more than be a shoulder to cry on.Woman Sad

Anxiety is horrible and she needs to get it under control or it'll ruin her life.  

Step 1. She needs to see her doctor asap. There is nothing wrong with anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. There are a lot of options. Avoid the scheduled/addictive meds. I'd rather take medication and be normal/enjoy life than not take meds and suffer.

Step 2. Then she needs some therapy, preferably with with a counselor who uses EMDR therapy. EMDR is excellent. It uses both sides of the brain vs only talking which uses just one side of the brain. 

You can't fix anything. You can suggest things but if she doesn't do it, you have to decide if you can handle being her shoulder. Don't let it take over your life. 

Honored Contributor

@paixmcdao ---From what I can understand----coming from her mom---there was a recent event that put her into a tailspin---she is prone to panic attacks anyway and also has heart palps that are not life threatening but can be a nusiance--she doesn't sleep well if at all--which to me is a huge part of all this---must be a family thing--I sleep horribly too.  She has had a few meds prescribed but they make the heart issue worse and that increases her panic attacks. Mom is at her wits end from not knowing what to do--so I am stepping in to help. I will try to suggest things---and will do some research, but in my mind---I think someone like a clinical physcologist is what she needs--she needs someone who deals with meds more so than her primary or therapist. I can only suggest---She only feels like a complete failure at this point---so nothing truly gets into her brain except misery. Action is needed!! Will try to help. She is close family--I need to help.

Honored Contributor
Anxiety can have a host of different causes. But no matter the cause, anxiety changes the chemistry of your brain. One of the issues that many people with anxiety have in common is that they tend to suffer from low levels of the neurotransmitter, serotonin. Some people have a genetic predisposition to this.
  Serotonin is the feel good chemical.

Many times it has to be taken chemically.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG --yes there is family history of mental disease--the grandmother suffered from it and from what I hear so did a close cousin. Am trying to glean as much info as I can without being too pushy.