Respected Contributor

New Heart Warning for Popular Z-Pak Antibiotics

VIDEO: Dr. Richard Besser reports a possible concern over a very popular antibiotic.
AUTO START: ON | OFF

An antibiotic used to treat common infections may carry serious heart risks, according to a new warning from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The drug, called azithromycin but sold under the brand names Zithromax and Zmax as Z-Pak capsules, is prescribed for infections of the ears, lungs, sinuses, skin, throat, and reproductive organs, according to the FDA. But the antibiotic can interfere with the heart's electrical activity, disturbing its rhythm with potentially fatal consequences.

"Health care professionals should consider the risk of fatal heart rhythms with azithromycin when considering treatment options for patients who are already at risk for cardiovascular events," the FDA said in a statement.

Elderly people and those with irregular heart rates, arrhythmias, and low blood levels of potassium or magnesium are at a particularly high risk for the deadly heart condition, according to the FDA.

The warning comes 10 months after a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found a small increase in cardiovascular deaths among people treated with Zithromax compared to those given the antibiotics amoxicillin or ciprofloxacin or no treatment at all. At the time, the FDA urged patients taking Zithromax to "not stop taking their medicine without talking to their healthcare professional" - a recommendation that stands today, despite the new warning

Contributor

I got sick while on vacation with bronchitis and the dr. I went to put me on the zpack. I was fine for the first few days but the day after I got home I had the same watery diarahea you mentioned and had it for 4 full days. Lost 4 pounds too. Never again!!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: ozedRe: Zpack side effects

I was very sick about 20 years ago for about a year.... and took antibiotics off and on the whole year with sometimes only 20 days between courses. Yes, the big D was a problem.  I also ate yogurt a lot because it was already part of my diet.....  my immune system was seriously compromized from Pulmonary Sarcoidosis.  (Which went into spontaneous remission... I was very lucky and then worked to regain my overall strength)....  but yes, antibiotics are notorious for this awful reaciton.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Zpack will raise blood sugar levels quite a lot, and it has a longish afterlife too

Super Contributor

Re: ozedRe: Zpack side effects

Diarrhea was really bad with Zpack.... Would not stop made call to dr.  told me to take Imodium asap.... Could not leave house for a few days.... Used a 30 pack of pads as to not soil clothes - very hard to sleep.... Very scary pill...

Respected Contributor

@hondagirl  Thank you for this information about Zpack.  My friend just started on it today and I told her about the possible side effects and what to do if diarrhea begins.

Honored Contributor

I love the zpak and have been using since the late 90's when we finally found something to clear up my sinus infections.   However, I go in the other direction from the OP and it always, clogs me up.  Never have I had anything other side effects then just the one.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I took my last pill on a Wednesday and Friday night while sleeping the diarrhea started and woul not stop.  It was like I took a powerful laxative.  I ended up buying hospital size sanitary napkins so I could get dressed.  Thought at first I had the flu and then read up on the Zpack and this can happen days after you finish the meds.. Does not happen to everyone but it was worse for me... I started the Imodium as doctor said and it did not kick in right away but diarrhea finaly stopped after  few days and I was able to get back to work... Wore the pads the first few days at work - not sure if it was going to get violent again.... I was wiped out...