Honored Contributor

YOUR FAVORITE CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT?

In the past I've avoided the capsules that are hard as rocks .... I suspect absorption isn't great.   I've taken the liquid gel caps, but heard there's a capsule that is finely powdered in gel caps.  I've also seen gummy gels but they stick to my teeth.  

I'd like to know what you think is best for you, easy on stomach, whatever is worth noting ....  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: YOUR FAVORITE CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT?

@Tinkrbl44 

After years of being told we must supplement calcium, current science says not to!  Not only do calcium supplements not help, they can do harm. It was big news a while back. There were threads here on the subject and I’m sure an internet search would belting up lots of info.

I finally tossed an almost full bottle of calcium supplements over the weekend. I stopped taking them a long time ago but held on to them.

Respected Contributor

My doc told me to take calcium citrate as it is better absorbed.  I buy the Kirkland Costco brand.  It also contains Vitamin D.  Yes it is a hard pill but it dissolves quickly in a cup of tepid water.  I tried it.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

After years of being told we must supplement calcium, current science says not to!  Not only do calcium supplements not help, they can do harm. It was big news a while back. There were threads here on the subject and I’m sure an internet search would belting up lots of info.

I finally tossed an almost full bottle of calcium supplements over the weekend. I stopped taking them a long time ago but held on to them.

@willdob3 

Not true.

The problem was taking Calcium without the proper amount of D3, Magnesium & K2 with it so it goes to the right places like your bones instead of your heart, arteries from what I understand.

Seems like nobody has the answer as to how much of each we should take? Plus it differs with our weight.

I took Andrew's for a while. My labs show my Calcium level is where it needs to be so I don't supplement it. 

I take Andrew's CoQ10 & Essentail 1 which both have D3 in it, plus I use Magnesium Oil spray & his K2.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

@willdob3 

I haven't taken one in a while, and this weekend I broke a tooth, so I'm thinking maybe I should take a calcium a couple times a week, just because.  I plan to discuss this with my PCP next visit.

I wonder what Andrew Lessman is saying about valcium these days.  Hmm ...  will have to check.

Honored Contributor

GREENS!!

PSA:

Calcium supplements don't work.

Milk is harmful.

Calcium is a mineral...that's why plants are the best source!

Honored Contributor

lots of greens...

Honored Contributor

My endocrinologist said Citrical and nothing else because Citrical absorbs easily in the stomach.  Many calcium supplements don't.

Honored Contributor

Right now, due to a recent thyroidectomy, my calcium levels are low so I am on an RX calcium and 2 Tums 2x daily.  Otherwise, I don't take a calcium supplement because it's not good for the heart.  

Respected Contributor

Greens have very little calcium to meet daily requirement of 1200mg. 1 cup of kale  = 101mg & kale is one of the higest in calcium of the greens.

If you value your bones, don't rely on greens. Stick with milk products or other dairy.