Respected Contributor

Has anyone heard of Xyphoid Process?  It's a very small, fairly sharp triangular-shaped bony structure at the base of the sternum.  I am trying to figure out if mine is inflamed due to arthritis or some sort of muscle strain.  When I wear a bra, the pressure of the band seems to aggravate this.  I feel perfect not wearing one.  Doc had me get all sorts of $$$ tests to rule out anything serious.  Thankfully, all is well.  In a final attempt to rule out something serious, she is having me get a CT of my heart (arteries, etc.) but all labs and such show everythng is normal and I'm on a 15 mg meloxicam for a few days to help with inflammation.  It's such a weird thing, surely I'm not the only one to experience this. Anyone else out there??

Respected Contributor

I had never heard of it until about 6 years ago.  I felt a lump in that area and had it checked out.  All kinds of tests, x-rays, etc. same as you.   My dr said it became more pronounced since I had lost a lot of weight.  Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I learned about the xiphoid process when I learned how to do CPR...avoid pressing down on it when you do chest compressions.

Valued Contributor

Due to fibromyalgia and costochondritis I have heard of this. Yes it can be painful with those issues as well.

Hope that you feel better soon and that all is good.

Honored Contributor

I have heard of it. Inflammation in that area does happen, I have seen it in medical records.  I think sometimes it's the result of chest trauma.  They prescribe anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds. 

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I had never heard of it until about 6 years ago.  I felt a lump in that area and had it checked out.  All kinds of tests, x-rays, etc. same as you.   My dr said it became more pronounced since I had lost a lot of weight.  Good luck to you.

@FranandZoe   I had a feeling someone on here would know!!  There are so many knowledgeable people on these forums.  Thank you so much for your good wishes.  It's a very annoying discomfort when it acts up.

Respected Contributor

@msgb wrote:

Due to fibromyalgia and costochondritis I have heard of this. Yes it can be painful with those issues as well.

Hope that you feel better soon and that all is good.

@msgb Thank you for your good wishes.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I have heard of it. Inflammation in that area does happen, I have seen it in medical records.  I think sometimes it's the result of chest trauma.  They prescribe anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds. 

@chrystaltree   I'm very surprised some of you have heard of it -- I hadn't.  You are correct - anti-inflammatories are prescribed.  I'm currently on meloxicam which has helped.  Gone are the days of wearing underwire bras -- how annoying are those??!!  I'm guessing my recent trip to Disney World with my niece and her two young kids is the cause -- I pushed a double stroller all day and occasionally picked up and held her two-year-old.  Probably overdid it and have been paying the price.