Esteemed Contributor

Why would some Drs not accept Medicare?

Our Dr of 40 years up and retired mid May. That left us with no Primary Care Physician.

I didn't think I would have a hard time finding a new one....but that wasn't the case.

All I wanted was one that was young enough that I wouldn't be going through this again in a couple years, one with good ratings and has an Office close.

About 3/4 of the Drs I inquired about either were NOT accepting new patients or do NOT accept Medicare. One Drs Office never even called me back!

I noticed one of my friends posted on FB that she was in the same boat as us and was looking for recommendations. She told me she found a DR (recommended By several of her friends).  I called their Office. THEY WERE SO NICE and I got an appt for hubby for July 24th.

I never thought being on Medicare would be such a hassle.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why would some Drs not accept Medicare?

I think it might have to do with they cannot charge as much with medicare?

Or

they can charge as much but it won't be paid nor will the patient have to either. You know customary, acceptable charges.

I wouldn't want to go to a doctor who doesn't accept it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma 

It never occurred to me that doctors might not accept Medicare, but I know from personal experience, that they don't always.

While I have decent health insurance, the GYN that I was going to will not accept Medicare.  Thankfully, my supplemental health insurance covers most of the cost. 

Their office visit and exam are high, so perhaps they cannot recover as much under Medicare.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

Medicare is actually excellent. Most Doctors know they  will get their money. It does require proper paper work and coding which requires them to have a competent staff.  Also @on the bay is correct they cannot overcharge and bogus up billing.

Respected Contributor

Doctors cant keep their offices open on medicare payments.  Its as simple as that.  Thats why many offices limit their new patients.  The docs can charge whatever they want but medicare will pay only their rate, so Docs have to choose.  I think its terrible that they dont take Medicare patients, but from a business standpoint you can see why. Medical offices are expensive to run.  They need large, knowlegeable staff to deal with insurances, not to mention medical staff.  Medical supplies are outrageous, not to mention office supplies.  Then there's the malpractice insurance and general liability insurance and it goes on and on and on. For a large practice just the telephone bill alone can run several thousands dollard a month.  Medicine is big business but not for doctors!!

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I think it might have to do with they cannot charge as much with medicare?

Or

they can charge as much but it won't be paid nor will the patient have to either. You know customary, acceptable charges.

I wouldn't want to go to a doctor who doesn't accept it.

My doctors have all been paid in full by Medicare and my supplemental policy. I've never had Medicare decline to pay their full portion of any bill.  My secondary insurance pays whatever is left after Medicare.  

All insurance companies negotiate the going rate for each service so there are a lot of write-offs for people not on Medicare.

Hospitals get tax breaks for any supposed losses, benefit greatly from the 2017 tax plan to reduce corporate taxes, and always increase their prices to cover any supposed losses.  

Honored Contributor

I had an old hematologist who charged everyone the Medicare rate. He explained that if one patient was paying him more than another he might find himself favoring the patient who paid more, so he eliminated that by charging everyone the Medicare rate. He had a center city Philly office (Tenth and Chestnut in the old Jefferson Building) but a minimal, one person staff in Monica his receptionist/do-it-all-gal. You had to file your own insurance regardless of what type of insurance you had. You'd get a receipt and the insurance was your problem. He'd draw your blood and do the labs himself. Other docs did not approve, but his patients loved him and he made a good living. He had a home in Philly and one at the Jersey shore, and put his two daughters through good universities. He even made house calls. Sadly he had a stroke in 1990 and had to retire. He always ran late, but he never rushed a patient. He'd spend an hour or more with you if necessary.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I'm worrying about maybe having to find a new PC physician. The hospital mine is affiliated with is being sold and everyone has to reapply for positions with the new owners.This will take place on July 1. My doctor who is of retirement age could either not now be accepted or may not want to bother with the hassle. I guess I'll find out soon.   I have an appointment the end of next month.

Respected Contributor

Because of the low reimbursement rate and having to hire additional staff to handle the paperwork. 

Trusted Contributor

Google this article:

What to Do When Your Doctor Doesn't Take Medicare