Trusted Contributor

What to expect after Dupuytren's contracture sugery?

My husband will be having this surgery later in the week.  Looking for some real life stories on what the recovery is like.

The surgeon told him his case is too far gone for the new injection, unfortunately.  Thanks for any input.

Frequent Contributor

Re: What to expect after Dupuytren's contracture sugery?

My husband had Dupuytren's contracture surgery approximately 1 year ago.  He came home with a foam "cheese head" on his hand (if you know what Green Bay Packers' fans wear on their heads that's what it looks like- only way I know how to describe it)  It was large cumbersome but prevented the hand from being accidently hit.  He was not in any pain & didn't even fill the pain meds the dr. had ordered.  He went for a recheck about 2 weeks after the surgery, was healing well,, but the sutures were not ready to be removed. He had the sutures removed a week later.  His hand is completely healed, he's able to put it flat on any flat surface, & is sorry he waited so long to do anything about it.

Good luck to your husband.

Valued Contributor

I have had it twice, was painful. I had the injections ziaflex as well. I did not have a successful outcome. My fingers, (pinkie) are not better, they continue to get worse. 

I do not intend to have anymore surgeries.

Sorry to be a downer on this subject. I manage and don't have a lot of pain. 

I hope your husband has a wonderful outcome and will be helped. Prayers!

Trusted Contributor

@Jrzgirl , @greamy  - wow, you have polar opposite stories.  I guess I should be prepared for anything.

@greamy I'm so sorry yours wasn't a success. Smiley Sad Thank you for the prayers.

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed with it about 8 years ago. In my case, it is slowly progressing, but nothing drastic, so far. My brother also has it, but it is more severe. Nothing near operable, and  he still has full use of his hands.

Such a strange malady.

Contributor

My husband had this surgery approx. 6 years ago.  It was more involved than we anticipated, but his doctor we believe did a great job, and gave really good advice.  He has not had any return signs of the Dupuytren.  

That said, he did all his hand therapy appointments.  The doctor also said that he needed to do the daily hand exercises no matter how much it hurt.  I was like a drill sargeant when it came to doing his hand exercises and we both agree that went a long way to making for a good recovery result.

Everyone is different and everyone heals differently,,,,,listen carefully to your doctor especially when it comes to what to do after the surgery.  Best of luck to your both,